Friend wants a Fattie made of elk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

short one

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2007
Northwest Missouri
The man that in charge of the up coming fishing tournament that Rhonda and I help with on the Mo. river came by today and said he had some meat he wanted me to smoke next Saturday. Everything he told me he had to smoke, I've smoked before except one. He has some elk burger and wants Fatties made out of it. Thought I would put this out and get some suggestions from you kind folks on how to season the elk, before I do something to screw it up as I haven't cooked elk before. He has had my beef, fresh pork and sausage Fatties and really likes them. Suggestions please.

elk will make a great fatty- 'cept it's really lean like deer. is it already ground & proccessed ?? if it was me & never seeing the meat... i'd spritz/brush it w/ warmed bacon fat. ask him where the back strap & eye steaks are... now i could really help ya there. also if he has some spare elk burger, blend that 3 to 1` w/ jimmy dean & worchy, beer,&fajita spice marinade for 24 for some wicked elk burgers.

Gypsy, thanks for the reply. I was thinking about mixing with JD, putting in some cream cheese, shredded cheese, onion and garlic and maybe wrapping in bacon to add some flavor and moisture, but like I said have never cooked elk before. Didn't want to mess it up.

now that will just rock... remember i'm from texas( done northern game though) sometimes our suthern game gets scrubbrush- elk is just a greener fed deer w/ more bulk. the adding jd will be awesome & the stuffing - he'll be back for more,.... then demand your price in lbs of hide.

Ive done a lot of big game.. Never smoked it, but any measures you can take to add moisture while doing it, do so. Elk is super lean. We usually process ours with about a 3 to 1 ratio as Gypsy was saying. This keeps them moist, and people think its a regular burger. Let us know how the smoke goes, i have a bunch of deer meat i need to do something with.

I agree with Gypsy and Skinner, Elk and deer is lean, you need some sort of fat. When you butcher either one of them, you MUST cut away all fat, its just nasty stuff. Terry

yup- or 3(elk to 1 hard slab bacon ground fat( cold for the mix) 3lb elk to 1lb fatty sausage or 1lb beer soaked fat slab bacon(wrap that around the fatty & fridge over night).....do @ 220-225 for 4-6 hrs or 160 internal- still brushing w/ ( man yer up north) bear fat or cold slab bacon grease...... i wanna see the pics of this.... it should be a hall of famer around here....

I would suggest that you and me meet in KC and I'll by some JD sausage for you to smoke for his fatties and I'll bring the elk home for chili this winter. Elk chili is tops in my book.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky