Fried Corn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

queteepie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
If your menu includes Dutch's Beans, use the bacon grease from the beans to make this side as well. Cutting the corn from the cob is a bit of a pain, so in a pinch you can use frozen (thawed) corn, but fresh is best! Usually during corn season I go to the farm down the road here and buy tons of corn. I take them home and cut them off the cob and freeze them in gallon freezer bags, so I have fresh corn anytime of year (especially in the winter... corn chowder!)

Fried Corn
[font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Sooooo good![/font]

[font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]1 tablespoon bacon grease[/font]
[font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]4-6 ears Silver Queen or other white Corn[/font]
[font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]1/4 cup heavy cream[/font]
[font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]1/4 cup milk[/font]
[font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]1/2 teaspoon salt[/font]
[font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper[/font]

[font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Cut corn from cob with a sharp knife. Using the back edge of the knife, scrape the cob to remove the “milk†from the cob and reserve this liquid.[/font]
[font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]In a large skillet, heat bacon grease until it “shimmers†but doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t smoke. Add corn and season with salt and pepper. Heat through, then add milk and cream (and reserved corn 'milk'). Cook until corn is hot and liquid just comes to a boil.[/font]

I have made that a few times and it is really good. My corn is about 3 inches tall right now but can't wait till its ready to pick. I bet the fried corn would be good added to some cornbread batter as well, I'll have to try that.

Fried(or smoked) Corn Salad

2 cups fresh corn(off the cob). Frozen or canned will work also.
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 cup diced red pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated parm cheese
1 cup mayo
1 cup ranch dressing
1 9 3/4 oz chili cheese Frito's

Brown corn in a little butter or olive oil(or smoke). Let cool. Combine with all other ingredients except of Frito's. Crush Frito's fine while still in sealed bag. Mix in Frito's just before serving. Salt and pepper to taste.

This is a great summer time pot luck dish.

Thanks for the recipe, sounds good. I add fresh diced jalapeno , red bell pepper, onion, while frying. Snappy corn!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky