Friday Brisket Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wmarkw

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Evans, GA
Hey all. I'm doing my second brisket tomorrow. I haven't done one since last summer; been hooked on the pork. I would normally start this thread tomorrow but I have a question. I picked up a small cut, 3.5# from costco; looks real good and the butcher said I picked a good one. When I got home I opened up the package and there is no fat cap!?!? There is some fat but 80+% of it was trimmed off so both sides basically look a like. Am I screwed?? I know the fat will help keep the brisket moist throughout the smoke so I'm a little concerned. I have the day off tomorrow, excited to smoke, doing my first batch of Dutch's beans and now this. Any pointers?? Use a mop? Less cook time? Thanks.

using a ecb electric style w/ pecan wood

looks like you got a small flat...........nothing else......put bacon on the top, will help with juices.........maybe even brine it............

next time, get a packer.........tho, now THATS a diff. story all together.....they go anywhere from 9-12 lbs if not more..........thats a flat with the point attached, and you will get plenty of a fat cap.........sometimes, trust me on this, butchers will tell you what you want to know, just to get rid of the meat.........btdt alot.........

Hey Dude. Thanks for the reply. Costco normally is pretty good. The one I got last summer had a nice fat layer. I should have opened up and looked at it in the store. I already rubbed it down but forgot to take a pic. Those packers are too big for my smoker. Well I'll roll with it and see what happens. Will update tomorrow with some pics. Thanks

also.........less time is up to you .............but a brisket needs low and slow.........LONG.............figure 1.5-1.6 hours per lb........now thats a estimate.........and folks will tell you, i HATE talking times........its TEMPS you go by........i smoke till 170, foil till 200............then slice.........i also let rest couple hours, wrapped up in towels WITH the foil, placed in a cooler. It will stay hot for hours this way..........lets what juices you will have absorb back into the meat, to help with juiciness........

you have a ecb right?
thats what i cook my packers on..........ecb gourmet..........verticle water smoker..........charchol tho.........9 lbers i do all the time on em.........

picture of mine.........

ecbsl0.jpg

Yeah mine is basically the same as yours. How in the hell do those fit? lol. I've seen some packers at walmart and it looks like I would have to trim it up pretty good to fit. Well maybe I will give it a go next time. I always go by temp too and do the cooler/towel trick; you all have tought me well. I will also have Dutch's beans and some abts as well to keep the brisket compay. I have been maintaining 225* pretty good with the electric so maybe the low & slow will keep it from drying out........

i leave em whole..........you mite have to prop the ends up at first to fit......but the packers shrink over the course of the smoke.......what i do, is put em in a disposable luminum pan........that way the ends bend up........this also collects some of the juices........when it shrinks up abit, i remove the pan, and let it rest flat on the grill...........

If you have the time go back to the butcher on see if ya can get some beef fat and lay it on top of the brisket. I done it once before and it worked okay for me. Probably my next brisket I will remove the fat cap myself and then just lay it on top.

just curious here........why remove it and then lay on top.........i trim to 1/4 inch, and smoke with fat cap down........now you will get alot of differing opinions on fat cap down or up...........but if you are going to use it to help with moistness, why remove it? and then place on top?

Well I'm about 6 hrs in and the brisket is at 165*. Will pull it at 170* and wrap in foil and into the oven until it reaches 190-195*. Here are some pics of the brisket before going on the smoker and some ABTs I just pulled to eat.

Here's the brisket about to go in the oven to finish off and then a batch of Dutch's beans. Very good beans; had a nice sample. Can't wait for dinner.

Good lookin' first brisket smoke, Mark. Am anxious to hear how you thought it tasted.

Will be working on my first brisket next weekend .. hope to knock it outta the park!
biggrin.gif

Whew, I'm full. Good stuff. Everything turned out really good. Took the brisket to 195* and let sit in the cooler for about 2 hours. Very tender and I swear there is a nice smoke ring once you bite into the meat but the pics don't show it. Overall a good smoke. The meat was juicy but I think it could have been better if there was more of a fat cap. The bacon helped so thanks for that idea. The wife loved it so thats what counts and we also declared that Dutch's Wicked Beans are the best thing ever. Now on to the pork butt tomorrow.......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky