Fresh Kielbasa & Italian Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice! I am not a fan of Rytek's recipe for either of those as they seem a bit weak to me. I also do the strip thing. I haven't had to use the plunger/poker thing on my grinder since going that route and it is a whole lot less cutting.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Nice sausage...I am doing some tomorrow as I have some deer meat left I need to get rid of.

Looks mighty fine. A stuffer is the next thing on my list.

Oh, great, another project to put on the back burner until I get my sausage smoker built this spring. I read about the strips of meat for grinding on here somewhere as well. My last load of jerky sure was easier because of that.

More material to absorb. Keep it coming.
points.gif

Excellent qvue with all of the steps outlined. Making sausage is one of my goals this year and Italian is the first kind that I'm going for. Nice work, you'll probably never purchase it from the store ever again
points.gif

I have to agree with Solaryellow on the weak taste. I took care of that by adding more ingredients until I got it the way I thought it should be. Congrats on the stuffer and that's some fine looking sausage.

I have Rytek's book and am in the process of reading it, so have not tried his reciepes.

As for the comments about weak taste with Rytek, I think that I understand why. As a benchmark, I looked up hot Italian sausage in Bruce Aidells' book. I've used it a lot on various fresh sausages and really like the outcome it produces.

He uses a pretty similar spice mix to Rytek, but the quatities are drastically different. The amount Rytek uses to season 10 lbs of sausage is about what Aidells uses for 4 lbs.

I will have to try both side by side, but I think since I like spice, I would probably prefer Aidells.

Great looking sausage. I've used the sausagemakers premix for Italian and think it's great. We served some at my son's B Day party once and everyone thought it was the best they ever tasted. It may be different from the recipe in the book because it wasn't weak on flavor for sure but I also add whole fennel to it.
Thanks again for turning me onto that stuffer, it's a beast compared to my 5 pounder.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

nice job Hunter but heres what ya need to do,
its only -2° here and i got my match lit so send them both down i& I will smokem for you N/C
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

I really like the stuffer shot, I was wondering about how much would be left in the bottom.

Just got back from the hardware store looking to find something to make a stuffing tube for small collagen cases.

I tend to agree with adding more spices, after all thats what its all about.

Nice tutorial Meat Hunter, the sausages look great...
points.gif

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I think sausage making is my favorite thing to do over all other aspects of this hobby. Thank god I stumbled upon this site and it's many knowledgeable members.

As far as the recipes in Rytek's book being somewhat tame, I would have to agree, but I think they need to be, so someone new to this isn't turned off by something that may be overpowering. Personally, for the Italian sausages I made, I would have liked to have doubled the amount of Fennel, Black Pepper, Caraway and Crushed Red Pepper I used, but then the wife would not eat them. I even reduced the red pepper for her by a 1/3. She said they were just perfect, "for her", and if she ain't happy, no ones happy LOL.

I think Rytek's recipes are pretty good, especially for someone who is new to making their own, offering them something that isn't totally lacking in flavor, nor over the top in flavor, spice wise. A good base that lets you taste the individual spices in there and lets the person making them, make adjustments based on their preferences.

When I make the fresh breakfast sausage, I come close to doubling the Sage in it. The wife won't go near em when I do that
biggrin.gif
, but I love em real "Sagey".

Great looking sausages. My lovely wife ordered Rytek's book for me as a Christmas gift. She looked all over locally, and finally had to order it. Should be here in a matter of days. I can't wait.

I do have a question, who made your stuffer? Great lookin stuff, but I hope it warms up to at least match lighting weather soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky