Fresh Jalapeno and Cheddar Cheese Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajunsmoke13

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 7, 2008
Been awhile since I smoked anything or made sausage. I tried Rytek's recipe for Fresh Jalapeno Sausage for 25 pounds. ALX sent me some of dehydrated jalapenos earlier in the year. It called for 5 pounds of shredded cheese. I used the high temp cheddar cheese instead. It tastes good, but I think next time I will cut the cheese in half if I use the cubes. Don't know if shredded would make a difference. I cooked some up and the taste is great. It's a cheesy sausage and I like cheese, so it will do, I guess. If anyone wants me to post the recipe, let me know.

That is excellent looking sausage.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks. No, they turned out awesome. Here is the recipe.

25 Pounds

20 Pounds Pork Shoulder
5 Pounds Shredded Cheese
1 1/4 Cup Jalapeno Powder
4 Cups Onion Powder
1 1/4 Cup Cilantro
2 1/2 Cups Paprika
1/2 Cup salt
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Garlic Powder
3 3/4 Cups Ice Water

Grind mear twice through 1/4 inch plate. Sprinkle all ingredients into the ice water, pour over the meat and mix well. Add cheese and and cilantro.

***One issue I did have...Put all those ingredients in the water, you get a paste, not something you can pour on the meat. Something is off. Had to add more ice water.

Man, those look great!

Now here comes the newbie question...will you grill the sausage or slow smoke it & at what temp? I have a vertical box on my stick burner and I'm dying to put it to it's intended use!

My thoughts are slow smoke, vacuum pack and freeze for later. But I've read about curing...and that's got me all worried. Is it all that simple or am I missing something?

That's some great looking sausage, and I really like the flavors.

Thanks. I won't smoke these, because I did not use a cure on this batch. For me, no cure, no smoke. Will be good on the grill though.

Yep...these are Fresh which has no cure and not smoked. Cook them on the grill is awesome......

The cure is for smoked Sausages because they stay in teh danger zone temp wise for a long time while you are smoking them....

Those look great and I'll bet taste even better
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
That paprika sure gives it a nice color

Red Stick you low temp smoke sausage as long as its been cured which isn't that hard to do or you can hot smoke sausage that hasn't been cured.

Hey there Red, how ya doing? I used to be real shy of smoking when it came to cures as I just did not understand the process. Lucky for me, and you and everyone else, we have this site. Its really not a complicated process at all. In fact, once you get the basics down, you will see just how simple it is. If I may make a suggestion, if you think you could get into the sausage making part of smoking meat, I highly recommend you buy a copy of a book called "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas. It is considered to be the bible when it comes to smoking and curing meats. Many many members here have it and rely on it constantly. Just some info I thought you may find helpful
icon_mrgreen.gif

I agree with MH...That book will explain it all. Like Piney aka Jerry said too, you can hot smoke them also,,,I am no expert in the area. I spend more time moving the meat back and forth to the refrigerator. I always try to keep it cool. I get a little paranoid. Guess all I have read on here.

Man oh Man thats some mighty fine looking sausage there Cajunsmoke13. I would just love to have my sausage come out looking like that too. I just did some and you gave me a good thumbs up and that means alot to me. Thanks for the recipe and I will have to try that stuff soon enough. But now I think it either hot Italian by shooter Rick or salami next.
Man that is some good looking sausage
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks. That 4 cups of onion powder has me too. I like onion so it doesn't bother me. It said to add ingredients to the ice water and pour on the ground pork...not happening, dump on the paste...

Thanks to all...I am going to do the 10 pound batch and see what the flavor is like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky