fresh ham, help needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigslick

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Dexter, MI
Hi all,
I am starting my 2010 smoking year with a ham (never done one before.) First off I have read as many posts on this as I can find and still have some questions/confusion.
I have a ham appx 15lbs (more than one 10lb dumbell, less than 2, lol) fresh with skin on. Want to serve it sliced (or pulled if that is a better route.)

1. Can I smoke a fresh ham with skin/rind still on low ands slow? Or do I need to cook it at higher temps? (time is not an issue for me as I am laid up for a few days, stuck at home can start it the 31st just hoping to eat it the 1st)
2. Leave skin on or remove? originally I wanted to do the maple bourbon, but don't want to miss an opportunity with skin on if it is the way to go. (saw Rivet's post about cracklins in another thread thinking that might be the way to go)
3. Score skin? Rub? Marinade? Inject? Or just leave as is? I have mesquite, hickory, pecan or apple to choose from.
Wanting to try smoking over charcoal on the BGE, always have the GOSM ready for a challenge too!
Thanks for any help!
Godspeed,
bigslick

if the ham is fresh and hasnt been cured, you need to do that first which usually requires a week to 10 days in brine after injecting it.
I dont have a recipe handy since I am at work.
if it has not been cured yet and you just want to smoke it,
then you have to do it like a butt or shoulder and get it up to temp quicker. then you pretty much just have pork rather than Ham.
I hope this answers your questions some , and Im sure somone else will chime in for you. I will check the thread when I get home and if you want to brine it I can give you a recipe then if someone hasnt already

I think I am getting it now, lol. So what I would normally consider a "ham" is cured then either baked, smoked, warmed up however. What I have, right off the hog, is just pork so to speak. I hadn't planned on curing it but sounds like this might be a good opportunity to learn! So, yes, any help would be appreciated. I will also search the site now that I know what I am looking for. If it ends up I can't cure it, I will need to smoke it at a higher temp, like roasting then?
Thanks again for the help.
Godspeed,
bigslick

Yea it sounds like you have a "raw" for lack of better words piece of meat. You need to cure it and then smoke it. I have never done a ham but am in the middle of doing a buckboard bacon but I would guess they could be done somewhat in the same manor. Some of the Pro's (And I'm not kidding) will be along soon to help you out further. Good luck and keep us posted on your smoke and lots of Qview Please!

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesHam.html

I have never tried this recipe personally, but have heard good things about it from others who have. Thought you might be interested in seeing that and the pics are helpful with the write up.

I am a fan of dry curing and hanging for a "country style" ham, but you are talking much more time involved for that.

If you just want to smoke the ham, I would do it like normal shoulder or butt as it's called. Rub it down with a good rub of your choice, or a simple salt , pepper, garlic, onion, papricka rub shold be good. Let it set overnight or you can rub it down just before puttin it in the smoker.

As far as the skin on, if I was going for a pulled pork type of meat, I would leave the skin on for moisture, however this then makes the skin soft, ( not hard like cracklin). You could then use the skin in a pot of beans or what ever for seasoning.

If you want the cracklin type skin, then cut it off and prepare it seperately. As far as the temps go I would use 220 -250 and then monitor with probe to take it to 200+ for pulled pork, less 170 or so for sliced. No need to cure it unless you want the "ham" type ham. It will still turn out as a good piece of pork either way.

Charlie

dude
a road down the middle might be---
use tender quik ...........
rub 1 tbls a lb all over fresh ham...
let sit in fridge for a couple of hours ...
rinse all T Q off....
put rub on....
then do the cook with smoke thing....

its just a thought...
i havent done one....

but many meats get this treatment....
i get many compliments on my "meat"
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky