Freezing mix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buddro

Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I have a substantial of meat to grind this year for sausage and sausage like products, 100 plus pounds of elk that will be cut with 30-50% pork depending on what cut I am able to source. The problem is I don't have a lot of space which makes setting up and grinding a heck of a chore. I would prefer to deal with most or all of the grinding in a single session or at least as few as possible. So my question is, is it practical at all to do this? Could I;

1. Grind both, mix, vac seal and freeze in large batches. I could then pull an appropriate number of bags out when I am ready to do a batch season them possibly run a second grind and fridge cure for an appropriate time before going through the rest of the sausage porcess?

or

2. Grind both separately, bag and freeze separately then pull bags to thaw season mix ect ect?

I know in theory, never frozen pork tends to bind better and create a nicer product but if I can get away with one bulk session in stead of a few throughout the year it will make my life a lot better.

Lastly, without respect to whether or not I use one of the aforementioned strategies. Last year circumstances lead me to mix cure and stuff a large batch of summer sausage which I then froze raw for a few weeks before smoking. My final product was as good as any other sausage I have made before, bind seemed good, texture was good and flavor was wonderful. Was I playing with fire? Is there any reason this would not be likely to work if I do it regularly? My dad has a smoker which is far nicer and easier to use than my own I would prefer to Bring frozen raw stuffed sausage to his place to smoke and package if I can get away with it. Trying to time the process of mixing curing and stuffing just before the 6 hour trip to his place without freezing just isn't something I am gunna try to do.

Your first option would be a good way to go... Although the way you did them the previous year is even better as they are already stuffed and ready to go... should be thawed out by the time you get to your dads house ...

I have a substantial of meat to grind this year for sausage and sausage like products, 100 plus pounds of elk that will be cut with 30-50% pork depending on what cut I am able to source. The problem is I don't have a lot of space which makes setting up and grinding a heck of a chore. I would prefer to deal with most or all of the grinding in a single session or at least as few as possible. So my question is, is it practical at all to do this? Could I;

1. Grind both, mix, vac seal and freeze in large batches. I could then pull an appropriate number of bags out when I am ready to do a batch season them possibly run a second grind and fridge cure for an appropriate time before going through the rest of the sausage porcess?

or

2. Grind both separately, bag and freeze separately then pull bags to thaw season mix ect ect?

I know in theory, never frozen pork tends to bind better and create a nicer product but if I can get away with one bulk session in stead of a few throughout the year it will make my life a lot better.

Lastly, without respect to whether or not I use one of the aforementioned strategies. Last year circumstances lead me to mix cure and stuff a large batch of summer sausage which I then froze raw for a few weeks before smoking. My final product was as good as any other sausage I have made before, bind seemed good, texture was good and flavor was wonderful. Was I playing with fire? Is there any reason this would not be likely to work if I do it regularly? My dad has a smoker which is far nicer and easier to use than my own I would prefer to Bring frozen raw stuffed sausage to his place to smoke and package if I can get away with it. Trying to time the process of mixing curing and stuffing just before the 6 hour trip to his place without freezing just isn't something I am gunna try to do.

Hi there and welcome!

Option #1, 110% is my vote.

My brother had 75 pounds of ground feral hog meat that he had frozen in big giant 5 pound ground meat bags. 4 months later we defrosted it all, mixed seasoing + cure, and stuffed into natural casings. Twisted links, cut and vac sealed and froze. I do this all the time with my cured and fresh sausage.

Later you can defrost and smoke or cook on the grill or any way you like. They come out perfect with no issues from the process at all.

Now what I WOULDN'T recommend is to grind and mix seasoning and cure and then freeze in giant lots to stuff later. I think it would come out ok in the end but may be more of a mess or hassle. ALSO it is awesome to have the meat unseasoned so you can take small batches and make different kinds of sausage or burger at will. Life is all about the options :)

I hope this info helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky