Free range

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

benjaminr

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Carbondale, IL
Alright so iv never had store bought free range chicken. I found one at wal-mart for $3.88 and I figured what the hell.

Last time I did chicken I tried brining and wasn't pleased with the results. So I figured I would keep it simple...

Here was my rub concoction dont ask me how much of what because it was a little of each until I thought it tasted good but I will say they were about 2tb spoons each.

The bird

Rubbed down

Tied up and ready for some smoke. The reason I tied it up is I was watching No reservations and Anthony was seeing a guy about some AWESOME chicken he does. Well he tied it up really tight because he said it keeps it together and it all cooks together much more evenly. So I used sewing string and it worked like a champ!. Also this guy put all of his seasoning inside the bird because he said they cook outward. So Thats what I did with mine and I also stuffed it under the skin on the outside.

In the smoker with the gang.

Look at that beauty!

Yes I finished the other stuff on the grill for a few mins. Steak just needs that char.

SO juicy!

I want to say I am not a fan of white meat as it is usually to dry for me. Well today I am a changed man! I ate the crap out of the white meat! So good, the little blend of spices was amazing and gave the bird a nice zip.

Also I dont know how much of a difference it made that it was free range but never the less it was DARN good eats!

Yep... I eat like a poor college kid.

Smoker temp: 245
Wood: Cherry/Apple mix
Internal temp: 167

I know I will be doing this again for $3.88!!!!

Hey that looks like one of those free range chickens.....lol...Man you did a great job congrats . You need some
points.gif
points.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Ha thanks guys!

My portion size has decreased a lot since X-mas. Thanks to my beer brewing and this dang site I was putting on some LB's!

Since Xmas I have lost 34lbs. I plan on keeping it off, but it is temping when I pull stuff like this out of the smoker.

Man that chicken looks juicy. Plan on smoking a chicken up this weekend ill have to try winding it it together with string like that. Nice job tho. And i bet that sampler plate you had there was a tasty teaser.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

that sure looks like some good chicken there,nice and juicey!!! recommend you not smoke other things below the poultry though... if you must keep the bird on top maybe a pan below it or just put the bird on the bottom... just to be safe and avoid cross contamination. great looking smoker full!!!
points.gif

I'll second Erain, with the advice, and the
points.gif
that is some damn fine looking.... well Everything!

I'll have to give the "tie up" trick a try next time I do yard bird.

Looks good.

Now I wonder if you did a plain old yardbird vs a free range would there be any taste difference, all things being the same?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky