FOUND: UDS Diagram

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davidmcg

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
McLouth, KS
I found a UDS diagram for everyone who doesn't have one and wants to build one. It is missing the air tube though.
81a636f9_vbattach17778.jpg

Thanks for the diagram.........Now I have an idea of how they are built........I might have to make one sometime.........I like the idea of the access door.......From what I have seen most don't have a door to refill.......Thanks again.......

Your welcome Kookie. I have been looking all over trying to find some typr of diagram. Now I can build one myself.

That's a good illustration, and I have seen some folks make them that way. But, I think you will find here, the Bubba style drum doesn't have a door cut out, it doesn't use a diffuser plate and the intake holes aren't in one spot; they are spread out around the drum. They also don't use an adjustment damper on the lid; just the plain old 2" opening already in the lid.

The only reason I mention this is that the benefit of the drum is the thick walls insolate the heat; while different technology, it is a similar concept the to the big green egg. The problem is, when you go cutting doors to make it easier to load fuel, you cut into the efficiency of the drum.

I will say that the concept of the diffuser plate is a good idea. Again, the green eggs use this concept and it works for them.

I'm sure bubba will chime in here before too long and give you more info.

My 1/2 load of charcoal was still tickin along after 5 hours in my new UDS (bubba style I guess). Not sure an access door is really necessary.

Just my $0.02

Here's mine so far....I guess it's the Bubba style...

I'm still working on the lid...there are no holes at all, I need to decide on an exhaust system...
Thank you Invader for your exhaust ideas!
smile.gif

You know when I found the diagram and saw that door too. I didn't think it looked like the photo's I saw around here and over on the Weber forum. So, I thought I have 4 barrels in all, why not make 1 of each and compare them. When I get around to making them I'll post photo's, cooking info and taste tests for both side by side for all to see.

That looks great Cowgirl! Is that stainless, or just really clean steel on the inside?

Thanks Invader...it's not stainless. I fell ....I mean climbed into it with my hand sander and spiffed it up a bit.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky