Formed Bacon from Curley's and Amish Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 2, 2012
Marathon Wisconsin
I made Curley's summer sausage last week end and thought I was going to get this Formed Bacon done early last week. Well finally finished stuffing it today. I made a 25lb batch of the Formed Bacon. Instead of forming it, I stuffed it in a 4" lunch meat fibrous casing. The magnum chub took 16 lbs. The rest I stuffed in some fibrous summer sausage casings I had left over. I did the same with the Amish Bologna. The Amish Bologna recipe is from NEPAS.

Here is 25 lbs of sticky sticky Formed Bacon.

Ready for my first magnum chub. I really didn't know how this was going to go but it was just like stuffing a stick of summer sausage.

Here she is, all 16 lbs of her!

My drying racks are not nearly large enough so I hung the big chubs on my deer gambrel.

Everything went in the smoker at 5:00 tonight. I'm guessing this will take around 14-16 hours. My smoker will be running about 120 all night and I will bump it up at 6AM. Using oak hunks in my chip pan and AMNPS is lit at both ends with apple pellets. It is -7F and supposed to get down to -15 to -20 tonight. I'll post more pictures tomorrow after I get some color on everything. My plan is to slice the 4" chubs for the freezer for sandwiches. I'm hoping to be able to use the formed bacon for everything I put bacon on, BLTS, burgers etc or just fry slices for breakfast.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Here is a few pictures out of the smoker.

Small chubs look the same.

The big chubs had 5 degrees to go when the small chubs were done.

I don't have anything big enough for a cold water bath and there is no yellow snow up on my trailer so this worked.

Blooming/drying.

Here is a sliced view of some Amish Bologna. It is very good! The large chubs will be sliced tomorrow or the next day. Let them rest a little. I'll post some sliced pictures of the large chubs when I get slicing.

That looks excellent!
77.gif

I'm gonna have to search for that recipe here.

That looks excellent!
77.gif

I'm gonna have to search for that recipe here.
Here you go!

Amish Ring Bologna from Nepas

Old Amish Ring Bologna is made with pork. 

For 2.5 lbs in a couple different ways.

2 lbs lean pork

1/2lb  back fat

OR

2 lb pork shoulder

1/2 lb beef heart or wild game.

Grind the meats thru med plate 2x

2 t salt

1/2 t cure #1

1 t ground mustard, packed

1 t white pepper

1/2 t allspice

1/2 t marjoram

2 garlic cloves chopped fine

1/2 cup fine powder milk (opt)

1/2 cup cold water

Here you go!

2 lbs lean pork

1/2lb  back fat

OR

2 lb pork shoulder

2 t salt

1/2 t cure #1

1 t white pepper

1/2 t allspice

1/2 t marjoram

1/2 cup cold water
Thank you sir! I have some beef middles in the refrig looking for something to do.
biggrin.gif

Here you go!

2 lbs lean pork

1/2lb  back fat

OR

2 lb pork shoulder

2 t salt

1/2 t cure #1

1 t white pepper

1/2 t allspice

1/2 t marjoram

1/2 cup cold water
Thank you sir! I have some beef middles in the refrig looking for something to do.
biggrin.gif
One day Rick posted it and said "here is a recipe for Amish Bologna. Not a bad recipe actually". Lol, I really like it. I add a little more garlic powder but not much.

I sliced the Formed Bacon today. I wasn't expecting it to be so good as a sandwich meat. I also fried a few slices and really liked it. This is one of the sausages that the flavor really changes after a little time has passed after mixing. I used 4 cups of NFPM and 1 cup of water to the kit.

Nice mix for the most part. Had a little swirl on one end below.

Casing came off and meat is nice and moist. It took 20 hrs in the smoker to get to 153 IT.

Amish Bologna tomorrow.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Terrific sausage, Todd. It has inspired me to get the stuffer out. Maybe for the throwdown...

Disco

Looks Awesome Todd !!!

Almost missed this thread!!

I love to fry PA Dutch Ring Bologna & Bag Sausage along side a couple eggs!!

Nice to have a couple feet of snow around for a quick cool-down, eh!!

Great Post !!---------------
241.png

Bear

That looks excellent Todd!!!
Thanks Dan! I normally try to iron out these sausage recipes without a kit  but this is the second kit I bought from Curley's Sausage kitchen and am really happy it. Even if I didn't follow the directions on this one.

Terrific sausage, Todd. It has inspired me to get the stuffer out. Maybe for the throwdown...

Disco
I can't wait to see what you come up with but it sounds like you have some kind of idea.

Looks Awesome Todd !!!

Almost missed this thread!!

I love to fry PA Dutch Ring Bologna & Bag Sausage along side a couple eggs!!

Nice to have a couple feet of snow around for a quick cool-down, eh!!

Great Post !!---------------
241.png

Bear
Thanks Bear! I sliced this Formed Bacon first because I wanted to have all the slicing issues ironed out before I started on the Bologna. I was pleasantly surprised with how good this really is. When cold it tastes like some kind of deli meat that I like but can't place it right now. Hot, it tastes like bacon.

What size is that?   4 inch?

I used to get big stuff made like that,  fits a piece of bread great.

Looks great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky