For Vets and active duty armed forces

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As a veteren  I applaude these establisments for offering a small token to those who have served.

icon_cool.gif

With a son that has been to Iraq 3 times and knowing alot of vets here I really don't like the "Getting Out of Hand is uncalled for. I applaud all of theses restaurants for their offerings. The reason that you can say things like that is because of them anyway.

I'll be having lunch with the Mrs. tomorrow at Applebee's! 

Again, many thanks to all who are serving and have served!

Mac

MSgt (USAF Retired)

1977-1995

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

With a son that has been to Iraq 3 times and knowing alot of vets here I really don't like the "Getting Out of Hand is uncalled for. I applaud all of theses restaurants for their offerings. The reason that you can say things like that is because of them anyway.
I don't understand the "Getting Out of Hand" part.  I too am a veteran and was just giving a heads up.  I'm off to BJ's for lunch myself.

icon_cool.gif

Well Thank You Native for your service. I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway I thought that you were saying that theses restaurant were going too far with their offerings of free food. So please except my apology and  I'm sorry once again. And thank you and all the vets.

icon_cool.gif

Well Thank You Native for your service. I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway I thought that you were saying that theses restaurant were going too far with their offerings of free food. So please except my apology and  I'm sorry once again. And thank you and all the vets.
Not a problem.  And my apologies to you, also.  I was in a hurry to leave and responded without enough foresight.  I knew it was probably just a misunderstanding.  I have read enough of your postings to know that you (and almost everyone on this forum) are good, friendly people. 
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif

Well, regardless of the misunderstandings...I wound up taking the son to Applebee's today and we had a great lunch!  While we were there we had a pretty good wait (understandable given the number of retired military in the St Louis area) and we met up with a couple of fellas from our church.  As we sat there chatting an elderly couple pulled up and parked very near us.  I could see that the gentleman was quite old and he was wearing a very old uniform.  Jake, my youngest son at 14, got up and headed over to the car to assist the man and I helped out the wife.  As we were getting them out of the car I recognized the uniform as an old US Army uniform and he wore the rank of private. 

We got the couple sat down in the shade for the inevitable wait and Jake started asking questions about the old gentleman's wartime service.  We sat there riveted by this man's stories and accounts of his service from the time he enlisted at the age of 16 until the day he was wounded in battle in 1943.  His military career ended that day and he has had to walk with a cane from that point on. 

My name was called and our table was ready and I asked the waitress if the table we were getting would hold four and she said it most certainly would so I invited the old couple to join us.  We sat there for the better part of an hour trading war stories and talking about the dependents role during service time.  We talked about the places we'd been to and how different they are today.  It seems as though we had been to some of the same places in our careers.  In short, we had a great time!  As a way of saying tanks to the both of them for their sacrifices I picked up the tab for all of us and we helped them back to their car where we said our goodbyes.  

Jake and I made new friends today.  It was a good day.

Well, regardless of the misunderstandings...I wound up taking the son to Applebee's today and we had a great lunch!  While we were there we had a pretty good wait (understandable given the number of retired military in the St Louis area) and we met up with a couple of fellas from our church.  As we sat there chatting an elderly couple pulled up and parked very near us.  I could see that the gentleman was quite old and he was wearing a very old uniform.  Jake, my youngest son at 14, got up and headed over to the car to assist the man and I helped out the wife.  As we were getting them out of the car I recognized the uniform as an old US Army uniform and he wore the rank of private. 

We got the couple sat down in the shade for the inevitable wait and Jake started asking questions about the old gentleman's wartime service.  We sat there riveted by this man's stories and accounts of his service from the time he enlisted at the age of 16 until the day he was wounded in battle in 1943.  His military career ended that day and he has had to walk with a cane from that point on. 

My name was called and our table was ready and I asked the waitress if the table we were getting would hold four and she said it most certainly would so I invited the old couple to join us.  We sat there for the better part of an hour trading war stories and talking about the dependents role during service time.  We talked about the places we'd been to and how different they are today.  It seems as though we had been to some of the same places in our careers.  In short, we had a great time!  As a way of saying tanks to the both of them for their sacrifices I picked up the tab for all of us and we helped them back to their car where we said our goodbyes.  

Jake and I made new friends today.  It was a good day.
Great story Mac---Thanks!

My Wife's Dad was Ranger in WW2---Had a BD party for him at church last month---180 people were there---He turned "90".

He lived here for a year. Now he lives with one of her brothers. Wife takes him out to eat every Friday Supper.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky