for the uk smokers sorry if stupid question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paul stephen

Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
if this is a dumb ass question then please delete can you use any tree would or only certain ones just seen a guy using silver birch

Hello , Paulsteven , glad to have another Brit with us. My good friend ,Danny (KC5TPY) will be co0nversing with you shortly.

However , your choice of woods includes any Fruit (Cherry , Apple , Pear ,etc.) or Nut bearing trees ,Oak being a great wood.

Now , contact Danny Boy and get to be friends. He's an old Texas boy and knows his way around a Smoker...

Oh, yes , send plenty of Q-view (Pics).

Have fun and . . .

Hi Paul

I have not used it myself but I know of others who have. The wood produces quite a light smoke so they mix it with other more flavourful wood - say 75% birch with 25% apple or oak. It is important apparently to remove the silvery bark first though, as it produces a lot of smoke that can be quite bitter. Give it a try and let us know how it tastes.

Hello Stan.  Thank you.  The check is in the mail my friend.  
icon_biggrin.gif

Hello Paul.  The short answer is no.  Not all woods.  I have sent you a list.  Hope it helps.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hello.  Wade is correct of course.  He knows his stuff.  As a general rule you should remove the bark from all wood.  Now it isn't necessary for some woods but true for about 99% so rather than try to keep that info in my head I just remove all bark.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

thanks guys vwas just wondering while i wait for my new smoker got wood from a guy called paul goulden was very helpfun got different kinds just trying to learn as much as poss to make life easier lol

Hello Paul.  No stupid questions here.  We all had to learn sometime.  A mix I use often is pecan and cherry.  Being from Texas you could smoke cardboard in mesquite and I'd eat it but mesquite has a distinct BOLD taste.  Not for everyone.  If you want to try it maybe use it sparingly on 3-4 burgers and see what you think.  Brisket and mesquite is REAL BBQ.  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky