Fondant Potatoes aka Pommes Fondant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Fondant Potatoes aka Pommes Fondant

For best results Fondant potatoes are done with large starchy potato like Russet or Idaho.
The starches soak up the butter and broth yielding a smooth creamy texture inside full savory goodness.

Peel the taters and cut them into rough cylinders with flat ends, all about the same height, I went about 1-1/2" - 2".
I trim each end off an average sized potato and then cut it in half, two nice pieces.
2-4 pieces per person makes a nice serving.

Preheat your oven to 400°.
Grab a large oven safe frying pan, e.g. 12" cast iron.
You should be able to cook enough for six to eight people in a 12" pan.

Over med-high heat, add some some type of fat or oil, e.g. duck, bacon, beef or vegetable.

Note:
Bacon grease is my choice for added flavor as I almost always have it on hand.
But duck fat would make this dish most luxurious.

Fry them hot and fast like a scallop till beautifully brown and crisp on both sides.
Reduce the heat to med-low and add a very generous amount of butter (1 stick or more) and several sprigs of both fresh thyme and rosemary.
Add 6-8 cloves of chopped garlic.
Cook for another five minutes, while shaking and tilting that pan around.
Swirl all that flavorful herb infused butter around, be sure to spoon it over the tops too and then hit them with plenty of salt and fresh cracked pepper.

7130jj8h.jpg

Now add some chicken stock or in a pinch vegetable stock to the pan, filling it about two thirds of the way up the sides of the taters.
Now carefully transfer to the preheated oven to finish cooking.

Note:
If you're using canned or boxed stock/broth you can really improve it's flavor and mouthfeel by adding unflavored gelatin to it when its at room temp.
And doing so really takes this dish up to the next level.

In about 45 minutes they'll be tender, and they'll have soaked up most of that butter and stock.
It's hard to overcook these so don't worry about it.

Pkiw9c6h.jpg

Spoon what's left across the tops again and serve.
Be prepared to say, "Wow, these are fantastic!" and listen to the compliments.

1MKeBbGh.jpg

As for all those leftover slices of tater from trimming these down? Save them and cook fried taters for breakfast.

Last edited:
Thanks, John. I read this in your other thread about the ribs and was thinking that I need to do these. By the way, I like the mango sauce idea, may have to try an duplicate that, as well...

Reactions: chilerelleno
Ok, you got me. Already got inner in the works for today but this is gonna get done real soon. Thanks so much for posting Chile!!

Robert

Thanks guys, what a great potato recipe, very very tasty.
The French have always had it going on when it comes to cooking.

I wish I'd taken the time pay closer attention to my glaze ingredient proportions, but I'm sure I can recreate it.

Looks great chile. I’ve posted these as “melting potatoes “ because when I add the stock to the hot pan the appear to melt,,,, oh and I use duck fat for frying. These are especially delicious potatoes. Big like.

• Love
Looks great chile. I’ve posted these as “melting potatoes “ because when I add the stock to the hot pan the appear to melt,,,, oh and I use duck fat for frying. These are especially delicious potatoes. Big like.
I've seen either you or someone else, here or elsewhere, post Melting Potatoes

Duck fat would truly make these orgasmic.
Bacon grease was good, but duck fat... Yeah.
As should using a stock full of fatty gelatin or incorporating an unflavored gelatin into a stock.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Those gotta be out of this world good!

I've been aiming to make these for a while but keep forgetting about them until someone else on here posts them. Maybe this time I'll remember.

Those gotta be out of this world good!

I've been aiming to make these for a while but keep forgetting about them until someone else on here posts them. Maybe this time I'll remember.
They are.
I taste tested a small one and I was like, "Wow!".
Mother-n-law tried one, her eyes rolled back and she swooned a bit.
My 13yr'ol daughter simply said, "You're making these again, right." It wasn't a question.

Great job, Chile. Pommes Fondant are a favorite of ours, and have been our go-to potato side dish for many years.

There are several ways to make the dish, but I pretty much follow the procedure that you've used. I normally use Yukon Gold potatoes, but Russets are fine. For searing, I typically use duck fat, but, when they're available, I've also used goose fat, and even, schmalz. Following the sear, I add some good white wine, then reduce that until it's pretty much gone. Then comes the stock, with some unflavored gelatin added. For thre butter, I use clarified, or ghee. For herbs, thyme is always present and, depending upon the main course the potatoes are being served with, I may also use rosemary.

Again, a great job and a nice presentation, as well.

Dang Chili those spuds look delicious! We eat a ton of potato’s & will definitely give your recipe a try. CI potato’s are a staple here!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky