• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fondant Potatoes aka Pommes Fondant

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Fondant Potatoes aka Pommes Fondant

For best results Fondant potatoes are best done with a large starchy potato like Russet or Idaho.
The starches soak up the butter and broth yielding a smooth creamy texture inside full savory goodness.

Peel the taters and cut them into rough cylinders with flat ends, all about the same height, I went about 1-1/2" - 2".
I trim each end off an average sized potato and then cut it in half, two nice pieces.
You'll need 2-4 pieces per person.

Preheat your oven to 350°, and grab an oven safe frying pan, e.g. 12" cast iron.
You should be able to cook enough for six people in a 12" pan.

Over high heat, add some some type of fat/oil (bacon grease is my choice) and fry them hot and fast like a scallop on both sides till beautifully browned and crisp.
Reduce the heat to med-low and add a very generous amount of butter (3/4 to 1 stick) and several sprigs of either fresh thyme or rosemary.
Also add some chopped garlic.
Saute for another five minutes, while shaking and tilting that pan, splash that flavor around.
Be sure to spoon some over the tops too and then hit them with plenty of salt and pepper.

7130jj8h.jpg

Now add some vegetable or chicken stock, about a third of the way up the sides of the taters and then transfer to the preheated oven to cook.
In about 30-40 minutes they'll be tender, and they'll have soaked up most of that butter and stock.
It's hard to overcook these.

Pkiw9c6h.jpg

Spoon what's left across the tops again and serve.
Be prepared to say, "Wow, these are fantastic!" and listen to the compliments.

1MKeBbGh.jpg

As for all those leftover slices of tater from trimming these down? Save them and cook fried taters for breakfast.

Last edited:

GonnaSmoke

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 19, 2018
Thanks, John. I read this in your other thread about the ribs and was thinking that I need to do these. By the way, I like the mango sauce idea, may have to try an duplicate that, as well...

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Ok, you got me. Already got inner in the works for today but this is gonna get done real soon. Thanks so much for posting Chile!!

Robert

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Thanks guys, what a great potato recipe, very very tasty.
The French have always had it going on when it comes to cooking.

I wish I'd taken the time pay closer attention to my glaze ingredient proportions, but I'm sure I can recreate it.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Ok, you got me. Already got inner in the works for today but this is gonna get done real soon. Thanks so much for posting Chile!!

Robert
They're dynamite Robert, my pleasure.
I'm surprised I waited this long to try the recipe, and happy I finally did.

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Looks great chile. I’ve posted these as “melting potatoes “ because when I add the stock to the hot pan the appear to melt,,,, oh and I use duck fat for frying. These are especially delicious potatoes. Big like.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Looks great chile. I’ve posted these as “melting potatoes “ because when I add the stock to the hot pan the appear to melt,,,, oh and I use duck fat for frying. These are especially delicious potatoes. Big like.
I've seen either you or someone else, here or elsewhere, post Melting Potatoes

Duck fat would truly make these orgasmic.
Bacon grease was good, but duck fat... Yeah.
As should using a stock full of fatty gelatin or incorporating an unflavored gelatin into a stock.

DougE

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 13, 2010
Those gotta be out of this world good!

I've been aiming to make these for a while but keep forgetting about them until someone else on here posts them. Maybe this time I'll remember.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Those gotta be out of this world good!

I've been aiming to make these for a while but keep forgetting about them until someone else on here posts them. Maybe this time I'll remember.
They are.
I taste tested a small one and I was like, "Wow!".
Mother-n-law tried one, her eyes rolled back and she swooned a bit.
My 13yr'ol daughter simply said, "You're making these again, right." It wasn't a question.

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Text book execution!! Looks absolutely fantastic.

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
As should using a stock full of fatty gelatin or incorporating an unflavored gelatin into a stock.
That would be a good add to, but just the duck fat carries them over the top. The gelatin would be straight up nirvana.

dls1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 6, 2012
Great job, Chile. Pommes Fondant are a favorite of ours, and have been our go-to potato side dish for many years.

There are several ways to make the dish, but I pretty much follow the procedure that you've used. I normally use Yukon Gold potatoes, but Russets are fine. For searing, I typically use duck fat, but, when they're available, I've also used goose fat, and even, schmalz. Following the sear, I add some good white wine, then reduce that until it's pretty much gone. Then comes the stock, with some unflavored gelatin added. For thre butter, I use clarified, or ghee. For herbs, thyme is always present and, depending upon the main course the potatoes are being served with, I may also use rosemary.

Again, a great job and a nice presentation, as well.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Dang Chili those spuds look delicious! We eat a ton of potato’s & will definitely give your recipe a try. CI potato’s are a staple here!
Al

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
This two pan batch served 8 people.
I was able to fit both pans in the same oven.

20220910_180334.jpg
20220910_180327.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.