Foiling Ribs - Have you ever added...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thunderdome

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Casa Grande, AZ
Maple Syrup?

mrs-butterworths-maple-syrup-lg.jpg

With the recent posts about Parkay and the different things people put in the foil with their ribs, I got to thinkin...

At first it was apple juice and that was it.

Now it's a little rub, brown sugar, clove honey, and parkay. The end result of all this for those who haven't tried it, is a thin liquid that has a great aroma. Anyone else who saw it would swear you added a liquid when foiling.
bone-suckin-sauce-rib-rub_1_std.jpg
parkay-squeeze.jpg
8314b.jpg
honeybear.jpg

So, since Maple Syrup is similar in consistency to honey, and is all sugar, has anyone tried this or considered it?

I am going to try it this weekend, but I know someone here has had to have given it a whirl

yes, it does work...although I haven't used in a long time. No particular reason, just tend to use apple juice more often than not, have been experimenting more lately though.

Sound like a good idea you've got there...I just tried the Parkay and brown sugar...added a lot to the ribs I made.!!!

It just got me to thinkin....I almost always add honey ( 1/4 cup honey to 1 cup sauce) to my sauce to give it a nice glaze. Why not maple syrup of some type ???

Bet some of the folks in here have tried a lot of this on their ribs....!!!

Rick

That's what I was thinking.

Like i said, the end result is a thin liquid but the flavor of the honey still exists. So I imagine the syrup would cook down in the same way.

Ill try it this weekend and take some pics

Haven't tried it on ribs yet, but i did use it in place of the mustard on a pork butt once, made a nice dark bark for sure !!.

I use maple syrup and honey on butts and loins. I apply it before the rub and let em marinate overnight if I have the time. On the last butt I did I added some maple syrup before foiling but I don't think it added anything to the flavor. I'll stick with what I usually do and add the apple juice when foiling.

I've eyed that bottle of maple syrup a couple times while foiling butts, but never was compelled enough to try it (which is unusual for me). I guess I need to go ahead and try it. I'll bet cane syrup would be good too.

I did that once and yucked up my ribs. But with practice my next try was really good. I love maple syrup smoked bacon.

Now I might be one of the last that haven't tried it yet but I will very soon. I have heard alot about specially since it has been on the pitmasters show. I am hearing alot of good things about it thou.

Cane syrup is great when making a sauce or for basteing ribs . Use that or molasses instead of honey .

I will try it, but suggest you use real maple syrup, not the pancake stuff. I use real maple on hams (Maple Burbon Ham) and it is great.

havent tried it but have to agree with john 100%... use the real stuff. mrs butterworths is not...

I don't foil my ribs, but I might try some Maple Bourbon glaze on ribs soon.

And I gotta agree with the other guys...give the real stuff a try.
It'll be sugaring season here soon!

BuffaloSmoke - You should maple glaze the ribs and drink the bourbon ha ha

I use maple syrup in the sauce that I make for ribs and use honey to lightly coat the ribs when applying the rub instead of mustard. To each his own, but that is how I do it. I always go for a sweet taste with ribs.

I had a very bad run in with molasses once when making a sauce. I forget exactly what happened, but I was away from the stove top for too long and the molasses burned and left this awful bitter taste. Since then I do not use it with anything. I would love to try to incorporate it back into some recipes though.

I always use apple juice when foiling, more out of habit than anything else. I am ALWAYS up for trying new stuff and experimenting when smoking.

I have used it. It was good.

The drinking of the bourbon is a BBQ ritual at my house. Along with the mandatory blues music, and enjoying a pipe while the soothing aroma of hardwood smoke fills the air.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky