Foil Tri-Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jake628

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Bellflower, CA
Has anyone done the "foil" technique with tri-tip?  If pulled from the smoker @ 125-130 degrees and then foiled or wrapped like a shoulder would it help make it more tender?  Was just curious.  I am going to try my first tri-tip next week and my main concern is getting it tender.   Thanks.

I have never foiled my tritips,but thats just me.In my opinion i have not needed to so far.The ones i have done never last long enough to foil them!!! Got some tritip lover's around here!lol

I have tented my tritips but never foiled them Good luck and share your results with us

I smoke my tri;s at a higher temp, like in the 270-290 range and try to get them done right on time. I have foiled one, returned it to the warm smoker and shut off the gas. It rested for a while and then I brought the smoker back up to temp, let the tip heat back up a little, then sliced and served.

Normally I don't foil though. I don't think it is big enough to benefit from foil. Slicing the meat properly is the ultimate key to tenderness. You have to examine the grain before smoking and cut it exactly across or it will be tougher to chew. Try marinating in buttermilk or oj if you want to breakdown some tissue..

icon_cool.gif

I'm in Florida and we can't get any stinking tri-tips here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky