Foil Butt = Greasy Meat?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by aucivil, Oct 11, 2009.

1. aucivil

aucivil Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

I have not been foiling my butts (have foiled my chucks). Foiled a butt this weekend at ~170 and carried it up to ~200. The meat seemed greasy. Is this a function of the foil retaining more fat or just a bad cut of meat?

2. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

After the resting period I always drain all the juice into a 2 cup glass measure. After setting in the fridge for awhile, the fat congeals on top to be thrown out. The remaining meat juice shouldn't be greasy. Maybe someone else has a different idea.

3. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    I've never had that problem when foiling my butts. Most of what renders out is juice. Some is reabsorbed and some collect in the foil.

4. rickw

rickw Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I can't say I've ever had a problem with a shoulder ever being greasy. Could be that cut of meat.

5. aucivil

aucivil Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

My vote is for the meat as well. I had been getting my butts at a butcher but this time I picked up a Tyson from Wal-mart. Wasn't overly pleased with the look of the cut, but I was in a hurry.

6. nate_46

nate_46 Meat Mopper

Yeah I don't remember having that problem with foiling. Does your Walmart have Farmland brand pork products. I usually have good luck with their pork and it is usually at a good price. I try to buy from a butcher, but if I forget to go buy one during business hours I swing by Wally World on the way home.

7. pimpzilla

pimpzilla Fire Starter

I did a butt last Spring that was super greasy. Exactly how you described. I think it was just a sub-par piece of meat, as I haven't had that problem since.

8. herkysprings

herkysprings Smoking Fanatic

I smoke fat side down, foil meat side down. Then I rest in foil, and when ready pour the juices into a cup to separate (or a fat separator if you have it). I've never had an issue with greasy meat, but I can see how not separating the fat from the juice could contribute.