flare up's in my elec. ECB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duffygould

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I converted my ECB a few months ago and have begun to regret doing this and not just saving my $28 to apply to a diffrent smoker. I understand that it's just a matter of figuring this whole elect. think out but I have become very frustrated. I can't seem to get a smoke with out flare ups. I've tried chunks, small split pieces, wrapped in foil, on top a baking pan turned upside down. I've run out of ideas and patience are running out. since it's a conversion there are no lava rocks, just the element on a metal plate which rests on the legs in the bottom of the smoker. I bet the biggest problem is that this thing isn't flush with the walls of the smoker so theres tons of air coming in right at the element.

While I don't have that type smoker running yet my thoughts would be
1. Buy some lava rocks to add to it
2. Maybe fit a fire brick or something in where I could get a foil pack close to the element with touching it.
3. Maybe a cast iron pan with foil on top with just a few holes poked in it
As I said I don't use that smoker and am just trying to throw ideas out there

This is a challenge in the ECB electric. (temp spikes resulting from chunks igniting) I have the most success with a pie pan sitting on the element using dry chunks. I recently re-added lava rocks as the old one were tossed during a clean-up. That seems to have no bearing on this issue.

PS
I would add that this challenge pushed me over to try a drum since I was always messing with the ECB electric to monitor temps via venting, etc due to the flare-ups. I figure I may as well be monitoring a charcoal unit and get experience with that since I am tending the unit anyways. The ECB elec is still more 'set and forget it' than a drum but the drum is rock steady once set up properly, too. (I am still learning with the charcoal set-up in the basket, though)

1. Try small tuna fish or single-serve vegetable cans - place them around but not on the heating element - this'll prolong the smoke before the chunks go completely to ash.
2. Pie pan directly on top of the element w/soaked wood chunks wrapped in foil that you poke holes in placed inside the pie pan will prolong the smoke.

well I tried the tin can idea and got great results for about 10-20 min. then the thin blue smoked cleared. I waited about 20 more min for it to kick back up since the wood didnt ignight, but they never started up again.

I took the cans out and just layed the chunks right on the metal plate the element rests on and theres were I got some good results well for the 20 min or so that the chicken was still on there. I had some chicken breasts on there and they had been cooked already. So there may be hope still. Now I just got to buy some more meat and try some more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky