Fish and botulism....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Seems there is an increase of the possibility of contracting botulism when eating fish or it's parts.. I keep seeing recalls in the Food Safety News on this subject...
FWIW...
I always add cure#1 to any fish I smoke for the reasons mentioned... Up to 200 Ppm is OK according to the USDA... That translates to 1.45 grams per pound of fish or it's parts... I generally add ~1.3 grans per pound as to not exceed the USDA recommendations which translates to ~180 Ppm nitrite...
May I recommend you do the same... I don't notice any taste difference...
The benefits may be life saving for you and your family and friends...

From what I have also read, the botulism which is present is soils, can travel down rivers and live in the sediment deposited.. Somehow, it gets into the fish that inhabits the waters they live in...
Also I have read where the gills and guts harbor the bacteria... It would be wise to immediately gill and gut your catch.. I have practiced that habit for years as it also bleeds the fish...
The fish taste better when bled.. You wouldn't eat beef, pork, venison or elk without immediately bleeding it out, why leave the blood in the fish to ruin it's flavor...
Store bought fish is prone to have NOT been immediately bled out... It is left to die in a fish hold along with thousands of other fish... Wallowing in their expelled excrement and slime... Been there, seen that...
Take special care with store bought fish...

OK, rant is over... Be food safe my friends...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky