Fish along with other things....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

master_dman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Omaha, Ne
Is it safe to smoke fish (Salmon) along with beef or pork.. or will the fishy smell and taste impregnate the other meat?

Hmm... never tried it before. I know after I do salmon my smoker smells of fish for a few smokes, but it doesn't affect the flavor (or smell) of the food. I don't know what it would do if you smoked 'em at the same time though. I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say too.

Are you brining the fish? The reason I ask is that when I have done fsih, I brined it. Then, I leave it in the fridge on a rack until a pellicle forms which looks like a wax coating.

Once it has formed, I smoke it and the pellicle is more pronounced. Thus, it seems to seal the fsih and in your case I would think you would get less of a mix. In any event, I don't know what the harm would be.

If it were me, I would put the fish on top and the others on the bottom if given a choice. Plus, since I don't know how much fish you have but I assume it's not as much as the beef/pork, you may want to put it in later during the smoke when the meat pores are more likely to be closed.

I'm just thinking out loud here as I've never combined them but it's a good question.

I have not smoked fish with other meats but sure wouldn't worry bout putting fish on top rack and other meat on bottom-maybe this is why I have more than 1 smoker.and if I did it that way would off set it so it didn't drip on my other meat.

Normally I would not smoke fish with pork , beef, or chicken. Fish needs to be smoked alot lower temp than the other three. 170-180 degrees. If i was to do fish with the other three, I would do it in my warmer on the end, ant a reduced temp! Just my opinion.
icon_wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky