First WSM 18"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walshs00

Original poster
Nov 23, 2018
South Jersey/Philly
Finally upgraded to a WSM and am trying to figure out what to smoke first. It's still sitting in the box and will assemble tomorrow. I'm going to run one or two dry runs to season the smoker and burn off manufacturing junk. By then I won't have a lot of time for smoking. Looking for good ideas of a short smoke to test it out. Thanks.

I have the 18" WSM as well. I'm with noboundaries on this one. Chicken is a great way to break in a WSM. I would take the water pan out if you do chicken. It will help with the skin.

I was thinking ribs but I have two people saying chicken. I'll have to try some chicken then. Any recommended methods? It's going to be in the mid 30's so it'll be a challenge to start off with.

When I first got my WSM I “seasoned” it one time using hickory wood/charcoal at high heat...350+. After that, my first smoke was a Boston butt. Very forgiving. I used a lot of wood mixed with the charcoal. Thus, I would focus on a short high burn break in, then start smoking.

Pop some thighs in a ziplock the night before with a brine solution. Do a search here for Slaughterhouse Brine. Next day rinse, and sprinkle a good rub on them. Do as noboundaries said and you will be good!

Ok I'll head to wegmans to get some chicken in the early AM before smoking. I won't have time to brine like 6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN said but I'll definitely have time to put a rub on. Any recommendations? I have a number of rubs that i know i are good. Just use any?

Even a short brine of a couple of hours will help. Rub choice is going to be like $*%holes and elbows. Everybody has their favorite. Good luck, and make sure to post pics of your smoke.

Last edited:
6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN I can do a short brine considering i'm going to be smoking the chemical crap off for a few hours anyway. I like your analogy. I'll post either saturday night or sunday. Depends on how many beers my smoker makes me drink. Probably sunday lol.

Sounds like a good plan walsh, and my WSM has been responsible for a LOT of beer consumption! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Almost anything should be good in it. If u wanna play all day with it go for a Boston butt. They usually take 10-12 hours at 250

I recommend for a brine just use buttermilk. a few hours in that and your chicken will come out juicy! for a rub i like something with herbs like an Italian seasoning or a Montreal chicken rub. those are great rub and you don't have to mix up something and spend 30 minutes with that. Cook until about 160 or so and then brush on a thin layer of sauce (whatever you like) and then finish until about 165-170 degrees and you will have awesome bbq chicken. i also recommend for chicken, apple or cherry wood chunks in that WSM!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

There's no reason to season the WSM. Just give the grates a good washing. It's porcelain coated. Chicken is good, I would go with thighs instead of breasts(more forgiving). Congratulations, good luck and most of all ENJOY!!!!

Chris

I’ll have to try the jalapeño butter marinade next time but I marinated for a few hours in buttermilk. Then patted dry and used suckle busters bbq rub. Smoked for about two hours and then put a little Stubbs bbq sauce on. Cooked five more minutes and came out awesome. Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Attachments

• 6129D408-0A41-414A-BBA4-9DBCC0F6B3C7.jpeg
    6129D408-0A41-414A-BBA4-9DBCC0F6B3C7.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 35
Looks like it came out really good.

Point for sure.
Chris

X2 on Chicken and no reason to formally "season" any WSM as they are porcelain coated. The smoke from the first couple of runs will help to seal in any small gaps where the parts join. That is part of the "seasoning" process for a WSM. So don't panic if you see little wisps of smoke a places other than the top vent. It's not enough smoke or heat loss to matter and it will self correct over time. WSM's do tend to run hot at first due to the lack of that smoke seasoning coating on the interior of the body. The porcelain is apparently more reflective to heat until the smoke film builds up from use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky