First Wild Hog w Q-View

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by stonebriar, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Today, I attempted my first Wild Hog Shoulder recently killed by my Daughter's Boyfriend. Following a good thaw, I boiled the shoulder in a saltwater mix for 15 min. I then applied Onion Salt, Ground Black Pepper, and a Rub. Throughout the smoke, I spritzed the meat w/ Apple Juice hourly and applied a basting of EVOO after 3 hours.

Using Pecan only, the shoulder smoked for precisely 6.5 hours until it reached 170 degrees. It was then removed from the Smoker, spritzed again w/ Apple Juice, and wrapped tightly in foil - where it sits now resting...

[​IMG]

My new Firebox custom made by DirtGuy!

[​IMG]

Straight from the 15 min. boil

[​IMG]

Applied Onion Salt & Ground Black Pepper

[​IMG]

Applied Rub

[​IMG]

Fresh from the Smoker! 6.5 hours until reaching 170 degrees. Applied one last spritzing of Apple Juice and wrapped in foil.

2. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That looks great. Cant wait to hear how it tasted

3. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    what does the boil do.........

4. I haven't a clue! I was just told to do it...

5. dirt guy

dirt guy Smoking Fanatic

Looks Great!! Did you put any chickens above it while cooking? That's an AWESOME cage for the firebox!!!![​IMG]

6. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks Great...[​IMG]

7. slim

slim Meat Mopper

looks amazing

8. Thank you!

[​IMG]

After 45 min. resting in foil, now sealed and in the freezer!

9. That's killing me .No taste not even a crumb.I have about 120lbs of wild hog in the freezer wanting to get some idea if I should grind it or leave whole.It sure looks good.bill

10. Why did you boil it ?

11. bman62526

bman62526 Smoking Fanatic

Personally, I would try it without the boiling - but the end result sure looked good! Boiling doesn't do anything but reduce the flavor, I believe.

12. Interesting. I, too, wondered if boiling could diminish the flavor. We'll see!

13. smokeguy

smokeguy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ok, it's rested in the freezer long enough.[​IMG]
    How does it taste? [​IMG] It looks great!

I'm just guessing, but the boil might be a way to flush any hair, poo, grass, dirt, etc off of it "just in case". It probably also pulls out some of the "wild game" tastes.

14. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm with alot of the others here why the boiling. I have always thiught that it would take all the goodness and flavor out of the hog. ????

15. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    i don't hunt so i am not familiar with fresh wild game. i thought maybe the boil would take out some of the gameyness.....i dunno.

16. I hope it doesn't remove the wild flavor - that's what I like!

17. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I beileve my brother soaks his venison roasts in a salt brine to get rid of some of the gaminess, but I've never heard of boiling it...he also soaks in milk once in a while if it's an old deer that will be particularly gamey.

18. I have never understood why people want to remove the wild or gamey flavor from wild game. With few exceptions that what makes wild game so good. Id do remember a mountain goat that was too strong. But venison, elk, wild hog, moose etc. taste great without trying to make them taste like grocery store beef. Just my humble opinion.

Scott

19. Scott - My feelings exactly. I hope I didn't remove the wild taste because of the boil!

20. waysideranch

waysideranch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!