First whole Turkey on WK Happy Thanksgiving

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CoolbreezeBBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 1, 2020
In the past I’ve always done a 6-8 lb smoked breast to go along with a whole fried or traditional roasted turkey. But since the gathering will be a little smaller this year, and everyone always loves the smoked breast. I decided to smoke a whole one. Picked up a just over 14lb fresh bird Tuesday night, and put it in a brine of sea salt, sugar, black peppercorns, apple juice, fresh rosemary, thyme, sage, green onion, and garlic cloves. I brought 5 C of water and 1 C of apple juice to a boil and dissolved salt, and sugar before adding the rest of ingredients to steep in the hot water for 30 minutes. Man did it smell good. I then added ice to cool it down, transferred to a plastic bucket, added the bird, covered with water, and added more ice on top before closing lid. I’m going to rub with melted butter, along with SPOG, and dried rosemary, thyme, sage, and parsley. Then loosely stuff it with a quartered apple and onion. The plan is to cook it in center of kettle with a small charcoal basket on each side. Using pecan, and apple wood chunks, and adding charcoal as needed to keep kettle temp around 250-275. I will post up some pics, and results when I’m done. Wish me luck, this is the only bird we have, and first time doing it. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and Go LIONS!!!

The plan is to cook it in center of kettle with a small charcoal basket on each side. Using pecan, and apple wood chunks, and adding charcoal as needed to keep kettle temp around 250-275.
This sounds like a stolen page out of my playbook. I have been doing it like this for 30 + years. Apple and Pecan is my absolute favorite for turkey.
It's gonna be good!

Reactions: chopsaw
In the past I’ve always done a 6-8 lb smoked breast to go along with a whole fried or traditional roasted turkey. But since the gathering will be a little smaller this year, and everyone always loves the smoked breast. I decided to smoke a whole one. Picked up a just over 14lb fresh bird Tuesday night, and put it in a brine of sea salt, sugar, black peppercorns, apple juice, fresh rosemary, thyme, sage, green onion, and garlic cloves. I brought 5 C of water and 1 C of apple juice to a boil and dissolved salt, and sugar before adding the rest of ingredients to steep in the hot water for 30 minutes. Man did it smell good. I then added ice to cool it down, transferred to a plastic bucket, added the bird, covered with water, and added more ice on top before closing lid. I’m going to rub with melted butter, along with SPOG, and dried rosemary, thyme, sage, and parsley. Then loosely stuff it with a quartered apple and onion. The plan is to cook it in center of kettle with a small charcoal basket on each side. Using pecan, and apple wood chunks, and adding charcoal as needed to keep kettle temp around 250-275. I will post up some pics, and results when I’m done. Wish me luck, this is the only bird we have, and first time doing it. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and Go LIONS!!!

Sounds really good! I steep my aromatics before putting them in the cavity. I feel like I get more flavor that way....or I could just be wasting time.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

9BACFB2E-1406-4202-9831-C3EFBF5384B5.jpeg
39973FB3-68FA-401A-A63D-D44D1DD33CF2.jpeg
237FB218-A331-4B40-A97C-3349C32D0A67.jpeg
7C527D24-7B60-465F-B4D3-EB64B684869F.jpeg
Put it on at 10am pulled it at 3pm at 165 IT added a couple small chunks of wood each time I added coals. Came out pretty dark, I hope it’s good inside. Resting in foiled pan until rest of family gets here around 4-5pm

Outer portion of breasts were pretty dry, but the rest was good, leftovers tasted great today. Skin was not good. I think next time will be one charcoal basket and less smoke. although the smoke flavor in meat wasn’t overpowering. Maybe add a water pan too. Everyone enjoyed. Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky