First turkey this weekend ... few questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

darelleats

Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
I've ordered a 12-14 lb turkey from my butcher which I'll be picking up tomorrow and then brining for our Canadian Thanksgiving which is this weekend. I'll be cooking the bird for a Saturday meal. After brining I'll be injecting with a cajun butter mix and rubbing the outside with something along the same lines. I'll pop in some aromatics (onions, celery, garlic) inside the bird before popping it onto the smoker.

How long will the bird take (approximately)? Will watch for the right tempertures in the thigh and breast, but a ballpark time would be helpful so that we're not eating at midnight.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks that would be helpful?

Do you want to eat the skin?

Hmmm... my doctor says no, but my mouth says yes... tell me more!

Kick the heat up on the smoker everything else sounds great but smoke at 275* or higher I usually do mine at 325-350* or you have to finish it on grill or in oven to crisp up the skin. Or don't eat the skin

Whole 12 lb Turkey at 225 bout 6.5 hours at 325-350 bout 4-5 hours

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky