First try with chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erodinamik

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Alamogordo, NM
I bought a book the other day (since I know nothing about smoking) to kinda get me started in the right direction to making awesome Q.  Along with this site I think I'll be doing ok.  The book is called "Low & Slow" by Gary Wiviott.  If anything it is a humorous read and has lots of great recipes for marinades, brines, rubs, sauces, etc.  So I tried Chicken Mojo Criollo tonight and it turned out AWESOME!  I figured while I had the smoker going I might as well use the jalapenos and extra bacon and sausage in the fridge so I made a fattie and some ABTs to go with it.

On the top rack I put the fattie (on the left) and all the ABTs (they are three deep.

The final outcome (somehow they all finished at the same time

The fattie came out really good with a nice light smoke ring.

icon_cool.gif

Yes everything looks great and I bet they were quite tastey too. Now if you want you should maybe sign up for the E-course. It's free and it will give you some more of the basics of smoking and a couple of good recipes too. But your our chicken looks great and I gkad to hear that you put them on the bottom rack too. That's a good thing, cause you don't want the chicken juices dripping over other smoked ideas it's a no NO.

icon_cool.gif

Yes everything looks great and I bet they were quite tastey too. Now if you want you should maybe sign up for the E-course. It's free and it will give you some more of the basics of smoking and a couple of good recipes too. But your our chicken looks great and I gkad to hear that you put them on the bottom rack too. That's a good thing, cause you don't want the chicken juices dripping over other smoked ideas it's a no NO.
Good reply from mark. Good reference and safety tp too. It's all good my friend.

That is great advice about the chicken.  I had put everything else on as an after thought since the whole reason I was smoking anything was for the chicken.  But now I know better :-)  I have done the 5 day course.  I think I did that the first day I discovered the site.  I think I will revisit the lessons and see if there is anything I missed.  Thanks for the advice.

Another great bonus of putting the fattie right above the chicken was the all the drippings from the fattie "basted" the chicken, so not only was it juicier than the rest of the chicken but had a great fattie flavor infused.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky