First try using mayo in wild turkey.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wnctracker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Western North Carolina
I smoked some wild turkey breast and thighs yesterday and decided to try some mayo on one. I brined the breasts 24 hours. Then coated in oil and rubbed in a paprika spices and sugar BBQ rub. Then I coated one breast in Mayo. I wrapped them both with bacon, black peppered them, and smoked at 220-230 until 163 IT. Then pulled, tented in foil, and let rest 15 mins. These were both amazing, the best, most juicy tender wild turkey I've ever eaten. The one with the mayo the better of the two. The thighs were tough still as expected, but very juicy from the brine and mayo.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 50
Great test... I've been using mayo for MANY years... I think it adds a very subtle, but definite improvement to meats with NO, "I can taste the mayo" tell tale ....

I have used mayo in the past & really couldn't tell the difference, maybe I need to give it another try!
Your birds look very good!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky