1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First try smoking Salmon

Discussion in 'Fish' started by rugsrme, Oct 30, 2010.

1. rugsrme

rugsrme Fire Starter

Just to get started, I bought some frozen salmon from Aldi's a small discount grocery store because it was relatively cheap and I didn't know what I was doing.

I brined them 1 lb of fish per bowl with kosher salt and brown sugar for one hr.

I let them dry attempting to form a pellicle but I was kinda rushed to get them on so I don't think I dried them enough, they were sorta tacky to the touch though.

They cooked fast, about 1 1/2 hrs at 180-200. they got up past 145 deg. so off they came.

Not too bad, maybe a little dry, the mesquite wood made them a little strong to eat it out right, but I bet I can mix it up into some cracker dip and it's going to be great.

I do feel confident enough to spend a few more $$ on some fresh fish sometime, MMM I can't wait!

[​IMG]

On the smoker!

[​IMG]

1 1/2 hrs and done. Yummy enough for cheap frozen fish.[​IMG]

2. adiochiro3

adiochiro3 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks like you did great for the first run at it!  I often prefer my salmon or trout dry and eat it with cream cheese and crackers.

3. meateater

meateater Legendary Pitmaster SMF Premier Member

Nice job! [​IMG]

4. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

looks good, I love mixing mine with cream cheese and putting on crackers