• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First try smoking Salmon

rugsrme

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 26, 2010
Just to get started, I bought some frozen salmon from Aldi's a small discount grocery store because it was relatively cheap and I didn't know what I was doing.

I brined them 1 lb of fish per bowl with kosher salt and brown sugar for one hr.

I let them dry attempting to form a pellicle but I was kinda rushed to get them on so I don't think I dried them enough, they were sorta tacky to the touch though.

They cooked fast, about 1 1/2 hrs at 180-200. they got up past 145 deg. so off they came.

Not too bad, maybe a little dry, the mesquite wood made them a little strong to eat it out right, but I bet I can mix it up into some cracker dip and it's going to be great.

I do feel confident enough to spend a few more $$ on some fresh fish sometime, MMM I can't wait!

On the smoker!

1 1/2 hrs and done. Yummy enough for cheap frozen fish.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 19, 2010
Looks like you did great for the first run at it!  I often prefer my salmon or trout dry and eat it with cream cheese and crackers.

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
looks good, I love mixing mine with cream cheese and putting on crackers

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.