First try at Buckboard Bacon QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ol' smokey

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 4, 2009
Parma, Ohio
I've been meaning to try this for some time now. Had a package of 2 boneless butts I was gonna use for PP. I decided to use the part of each butt that had the bone in and tie them up for the PP. The two other pieces were totally intact and weighed about 4 lbs. each. I used a the basic dry rub from the book Charcuterie. Cured the for 10 days, rinsed and tried the fry test for saltiness. No need to soak this time.
I smoked them with a mixture of wood pellets at 160° for about 6 hours and an additional 3 hours for them to reach 145° internal. Cooled on the racks over night. This morning I cut some slices and fried 'em up. I was totally surprised at the flavor and crispiness. Definetly will be doing this again.

One of the pieces rubbed with the cure.

After curing for 10 days ready for the smoker.

In the smoker. I have'nt started the smoke as yet

Finished and cooling

Just sliced and fried.

Thanks for looking.

Very nice
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Looks like some good eating

Really nice looking. I can smell it all the way over here.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Man that looks good. Great job smokey I just hope mine goes out that good. What temp did you smoke it at and what temp did you take it out at?
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

mballi3011, I set the smoker for 160° and took the meat out when it reached 145°.

I have to say that you bacon looks really good. BLT"S with avocados and a nice cold beer...... Just thinking out loud.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky