First Tri Tip Plan - Any...Tips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
Threw a 2.5lb tri-tip in to the Wild Fork order. Was planning to do burgers Monday but the tri-tip looked good, so will do some sandwiches instead.

Plan is to reverse sear it and smoke the tri-tip at 225 until the IT reaches around 115, then take it off and sear. Figure the IT will hit about 125 during sear, then coast up to ~130 during a rest. Budgeting about 2 hours for the smoke portion, which I think should be more than enough.

Never done a tri-tip before, so any tips here? I know I need to slice against the grain. Anything wrong with my plan?

Reactions: millerbuilds

AngleAway

Aug 17, 2022
The only thing I would suggest is to wrap it tight in foil, bunching up the meat, like a burrito shape. Do this prior to the sear, rest it in the foil for ~15-20 mins, then sear. You’ll end up with much more uniform medallion like cuts rather than flat thin slices.

A lot of times I skip the sear and I have to say I’ve been incredibly happy with the results. Wrap tight for rest then slice, and wow!

Latest posts

Hot Threads