first timer for the pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poimen

Original poster
Sep 12, 2015
so, our meat market had a great deal on pork loins not too long ago, so i convinced the wife i could do something with it (huge bluff). they sold them whole so i have 8 lbs of pork loin to use up and 2 maybe 3 people eating it. *two kids really only count as 1 person eating haha, they're little.* 

anyways...i got half of it sliced thin for fried pork (something my family does on occasions...slice thin...like thick bologna...then egg wash and bread crumbs or soda cracker crumbs fried in canola oil till brown...simple and amazing) 

now i have this 4 lb slab of loin in the freezer *(fridge now thawing) because i forgot to cut it into something smaller like an idiot before i froze it. since i've been told not to freeze thaw and refreeze meat, i'm thinking once this puppy thaws, i give it a chop in half and with one half inject it with garlic, then smoke it for a few hours and slice it up for a nice meal. 

with the other half, i kinda want to make a chopped pork sandwich out of it. anyone ever do something like that? i realize you can't really pull a loin...but chopping a smoked loin up and smothering it with a bbq sauce isn't sacrilegious is it? haha.  

I think a chopped loin sandwich would be great.  
popcorn.gif

Loins also make really good, thick pork chops.

Gary

Reactions: poimen
Chopped loin would taste good but probably won't have the texture you are wanting.

I like smoked whole loin, cooked to 145, then sliced about 3/4" thick. 

My favorite use for pork loin is to cure it into Canadian bacon if you happen to have some cure #1 around. 

Slice it lengthwise around to open it up into a large flap of meat about 3/4" thick. Spread stuffing mix, chopped onion, a little granulated garlic, some of your favorite rub and roll it up and tie it together. Smoke to an IT of 145* . Then let it rest. Slice it about 1" thick and enjoy.

Chopped loin would taste good but probably won't have the texture you are wanting.

My favorite use for pork loin is to cure it into Canadian bacon if you happen to have some cure #1 around. 
haha i'm really showing my nooby-ness here... but curing is not something i'm familiar with...

haha i'm really showing my nooby-ness here... but curing is not something i'm familiar with...
Here is Pop's Brine which is commonly used around here to cure meat:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110799/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine

@Bearcarver  also has a Canadian bacon method that is popular:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/176177/canadian-bacon-dry-cured-step-by-step

Curing a pork loin is really easy provided you follow a good set of instructions. Once smoked and sliced it will be 10x more flavorful than any store bought Canadian bacon you have ever had. I love it on a biscuit for breakfast. 

well...here we go! i'll check in on ya in about 20 min or so to see if you're still smokin' but other than that...i hope i did everything right. anyone wanna critique? 

well in true nooby fashion, i wasn't very patient...i had about 3 1/2 lbs of pork loin...smoked it for an hour...let it rest for about 25 min...it was still a little pink...so i kinda put it on the grill for a few minutes. after that it was fantastic. the fatty goodness on top held all that beautiful hickory and maple smoke i threw on it. i think i need to invest in a nice thermometer...the one i have kinda sucks. not sure it works very well. 

Reactions: redheelerdog
Yes invest in a good thermometer! I have a dual probe mav. and an instant read hand held.

Use both every cook.

An internal temp of 145F is good, let it rest for a 1/2hr and it is delicious. If you go much past 150F IT will be dry.

yeahthat.gif
145 is perfect!! I got distracted today and went to 155/150/160/153

4 pieces of pork loin overdone. Not bad but overdone.

Reactions: redheelerdog
Looks good to me, you really need to get a proper thermometer if you want to know exactly when it is done.

Tons of people here use this model: Maverick Et-732 Remote Bbq Smoker Thermometer: Link Here

Once you use it you will realize how great of a tool it is and wonder how you ever lived without it.

439.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky