First time using chunks in my propane smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kingt36

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Metro Atlanta
I'm going to do my first brisket and bought some chunks to use for my propane smoker ( old BBQ Grillware model from Lowes). It has a cast iron box with a slotted lid. Would it hurt for me to put the chunks in without the lid? Should I use the lid? Should I replace the lid with foil? Also, how many chunks should I use?

I saw some pictures on some other threads and one by Sqwib (I believe) stood out to me. He had a box filled with chunks and no cover in a gasser. 

Thanks!

When I used to use chunks I never used the lid because the box was so small the lid wouldn't fit with chunks in it. You can go either way, if you get flare ups without the lid then put the lid on. 2-3 good sized chunks is all you really need at a time.

Reactions: kingt36
My experience is the cast iron lid super heats the chunks and chars them. I don't use the lid. I fill with a few chunks and the rest with chips.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: kingt36
Thanks...doing some wings now with a chunk and some chips, no lid..I'm happy with the tbs I'm seeing...

So, I've got about 4 chunks in and the rest chips. I was getting some tbs for a little while, but I haven't seen any in a while. They same load has been going for about 4 hours at 225 - 240. I opened the door to see if I should replace the wood, however it is all dark brown, none is black. There was no smoke in the chamber. I'm tempted to turn up the temperature but thought I'd check in first to see what you all thought.

Should I be worried?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky