First Time Tri Tip w/Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jarjarchef

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 30, 2010
Central Florida
I have never cooked tri tip before, it is not really available at the stores and only a few local butchers know what it is. So when a vendor left us some from a demonstration, I was excited when I came in today to find they had saved me some to smoke. So here are a few pictures of it. One was grass fed and the other was grain fed, not sure which won is which, they were not labeled for me. So I will call them A and B, when I find out I will update the post.

Smoked in a MES 30 with Apple Wood at 240 until IT 130 degrees. Seasoned with only kosher salt, ground black pepper and garlic, they took about 1 1/2hrs. When I removed them from the smoker I did a quick sear on the grill for color, they were a little pale for me.

Onto the good stuff…….

After resting for an hour in the warmer.

We will call the one with the fat cap Tri Tip "A"

And the one without the fat cap will be Tri Tip "B"

Side by side comparison

Cut up Tri Tip "A"

Cut up Tri Tip "B"

It don't look the greatest for a picture, but it sure tasted great!!!!

Last edited:
Looks awesome! When I lived in California, that was a very common (cheap) meat in the grocery stores, and there were different marinated versions. I'm like yourself, nobody here in Kansas seemed to know what I was talking about. One butcher said they use it for beef skewers, but would sell it for twice the price of sirloin, if I wanted some.

That's a tasty lookin' samwich!

That looks great
drool.gif

Looks awesome! When I lived in California, that was a very common (cheap) meat in the grocery stores, and there were different marinated versions. I'm like yourself, nobody here in Kansas seemed to know what I was talking about. One butcher said they use it for beef skewers, but would sell it for twice the price of sirloin, if I wanted some.

That's a tasty lookin' samwich!

I have had the same price luck as you. So I usually will try other cuts instead of pushing them to get me what they don't have. So I was very excited to try it when I was able to get my hands on two of them. The price was perfect too.....FREE!

The one thing that really cought me off guard was their size. I was expecting them to be larger. They were maybe 3#, did not weigh them.

Looks fantastic! Tri tip is fantastic! Yumm!!!

Thank you. Was not disappointed

That looks wonderful! Wish I had some.

Disco

Thank you. Would have been more then happy to share.

That looks great :drool:

Thank you. Great dinner to have while making some football.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky