First Time Spare Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrsb

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Parkville,MO
My dad gave me 2 slabs of ribs to smoke for him and that is my plan for tomorrow. Just want to review my plan and see if there are any suggestions or changes I should make.

Tonight--Remove membrane and rub both slabs, wrap in plastic wrap and back in the fridge overnight

Morning--Bring smoker to temp, I'm thinking 225-230
Place ribs in and smoke for about 2 hours. Using hickory and apple. Am I correct in thinking that I want to see about 1/2" pull back from the bone after the first cycle? Then wrap in foil after spraying with my apple juice-rum mixture and leaving wrapped for about 1.5 hours. Then unfoil and back in the smoker, spray again and leave for about 1 hour.
At this point, what am I looking for to test for doneness?

Problem--I don't think these slabs whole will fit on my vertical brinkman. Is it ok to cut in half? And if I do, what should I look at to decide where to cut?

If I do cut them in half, when I wrap them in foil can I put them all on one shelf and then put a rump roast on my other shelf? My dad told me I could keep one slab for myself (woohoo!!) but my husband is not a pork eater (I know, can you believe that?). He is a beef and tater man. So I was going to put the rump roast on and make him that for dinner. If I want to slice, what temp should the roast be?

That be my plan. What do you think?

Sounds like a can't miss plan. No problem cutting the ribs in half and where is not critical but most slabs have 13 bone so 6 bones on the large end and 7 for the small end. Your rump roast I'm assunig you want to slice medium/medium rare so about 130o in the center will do ya.

Hmmm half inch pullback is quite a bit. I usually foil- assuming I AM gonna foil... at the first sign of pullback. When the meat is starting to contract, it's also squeezing out juices, and you want to trap these for the foil process.

Also remember to save these for a sauce...if ya like.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Any suggestions on seasoning for the roast. Just some salt and cbp or should I do an injection?

on my ecb gourmet, when i do several spares, i cut em in half, and put em in a rib rack, till foil time.........with no loss of taste or whatever!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky