first time smoking ribs!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by fatguy, Oct 24, 2010.

1. well guys after the great success I had with then Boston Butt, I'm trying my hand at ribs. all together I think there's about 13# or better.  The rub I'm using is Butt Rub left over from a few weeks back.  Being a chainsaw enthusiast, finding wood is not an issue. I got really lucky as my buddy (who will be enjoying these ribs) got  me a bunch of Hickory. I de-barked it, split it very small and then used my miter saw to cut it into chunks. More pics to follow....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Looks like your off to a good start.

3. looks good from here.

i am also trying ribs for the first time today... hopefully we both have an amazing lunch/dinner.

4. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now I thought I was the Fat guy aroud here. Just kidding  now your ribs are looking good to. So keep up the good work and the Q-view too.

5. hope so!

6. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

Just something about that doesn't sound right! LOL  Good luck with the ribs.

Happy Smokin'

7. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Good start !

Tick-Tock

Tick-Tock

8. at the 2 hour 15 min mark....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. ok, so it's almost foil time.  All in one or individually wrapped?

10. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you have the big foil pans id do all in one. If not id do individual 

11. wrapped individually, then wrapped all 4 together...... the smell is killing me, damn I'm getting hungry. Anybody ever sauce the ribs when they foil them?

12. at least you have the Colts..... My Bengals are sucking right now

pretty sure I got you beat in the fat department.  here's me and the baby girl last week at home coming

[​IMG]

13. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looking good! And the ribs too![​IMG]

14. is she not the sweetest thing you ever layed eyes on? Believe it or not, she was a tom-boy growing up and my besrt buddy too!

15. well, they were good, very good. I think I still prefer pulled pork but the ribs had plenty of flavor. I would have liked them to be a little more tender, but truth be told, it had no time to rest befoer being devoured....

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

All looks Great from here!

17. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

Nice looking ribs Fatguy!

18. Nik/Fatguy once again you out did yourself, they were awesome!! I think the pork but was better, but when you have to chose one or the other life is good.

Here's a pic or Q-view of the master chef himself... [​IMG]

Once again thanks Nik!!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  19. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice job FatGuy[​IMG]  I never trust a skiny cook!!!