• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time smoking Brisket

outdoorchef

Joined May 9, 2021
I'm going to do a SMALL Brisket point 2.5 pounds. Should I still expect a stall if so, at what IT should I expect to wrap it. Then what IT will i need to achieve before resting it and for how long. If no stall I'm assuming once I hit finished IT, I still need to wrap and put in cooler but again, for how long? TYIA.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I wrap on color (but the IT will be ~160°), and I pull on tenderness (but the IT will be 200°+). In other words, I like to know what the temps are but don't really use them for anything critical.... especially tenderness. Once I cook it tender I vent the wrap for a few minutes, then like long rests in a hot box. 2 hours for one like you have.

One tip if the point is really knobby shaped. Butterfly it on the thick end to get a more even thickness. It will be easier to cook and slice. After butterflying:

hPEpFJT.jpg
Same orientation, showing color when wrapped:
VdMNiQx.jpg
Same orientation after a wrapped finish:
SAGNbET.jpg
A couple of cubes:
VEwcISf.jpg

outdoorchef

Joined May 9, 2021
I wrap on color (but the IT will be ~160°), and I pull on tenderness (but the IT will be 200°+). In other words, I like to know what the temps are but don't really use them for anything critical.... especially tenderness. Once I cook it tender I vent the wrap for a few minutes, then like long rests in a hot box. 2 hours for one like you have.

One tip if the point is really knobby shaped. Butterfly it on the thick end to get a more even thickness. It will be easier to cook and slice. After butterflying:

View attachment 505234
Same orientation, showing color when wrapped:
View attachment 505235
Same orientation after a wrapped finish:
View attachment 505236
A couple of cubes:
View attachment 505237
Thank you. Most helpful.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
2.5 lb is very small...not sure...I assume there would be some kinda stall. points are rather marbled. wrapping may not be needed really. I am not a wrapper - so i will always default to cooking right on through to done. For a brisket that is about 200 +/- 5 and probe tender. the point will be probe tender before the flat (if you were doing a whole packer)

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.