First time smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sandman92

Original poster
Sep 11, 2020
Guys hello from India!!!

This is my first time smoking meats. I managed to fabricate an offset from an old barrel. And did my first cook a few days back. Used jackfruit wood Chunk's for it was we don't easily get hard wood chunks around. I am a bit confused on how to go about it. Would be wonderful if you could help me with the following:

-if i am planning on using charcoal as my heat source how often should I replenish with wood Chunks should it be as soon as I stop seeing smoker or can one chunk smoulder for a few hours.
-is it important to use a water pan?
- what do I do if I can't get dry wood can we smoke with green wood and if yes what are the cons of it .
- what's the best strategy to use when you need another coal bed. Do we just add more to the firebox or start with a new batch in the chimney.

Thanks in advance guys

Welcome to SMF from Minnesota, USA. You will have to feed wood as needed to maintain smoke until you are done. I would not use green wood as it will not make good smoke for your food. A water pan is good to keep moisture in the smoker and steady your temps. You will have to keep a good coal bed going through out your cook.

Guys hello from India!!!

This is my first time smoking meats. I managed to fabricate an offset from an old barrel. And did my first cook a few days back. Used jackfruit wood Chunk's for it was we don't easily get hard wood chunks around. I am a bit confused on how to go about it. Would be wonderful if you could help me with the following:

-if i am planning on using charcoal as my heat source how often should I replenish with wood Chunks should it be as soon as I stop seeing smoker or can one chunk smoulder for a few hours. You will probably have to add a chunk every 45 minutes or so, when you see the smoke stop add another chunk.
-is it important to use a water pan? This is a controversy, but my thinking is I always use a water pan in all my smokers, unless I’m cold smoking bacon or lox.
- what do I do if I can't get dry wood can we smoke with green wood and if yes what are the cons of it . Green wood is OK, but you will get a lot of white smoke. You are better off with dried wood.
- what's the best strategy to use when you need another coal bed. Do we just add more to the firebox or start with a new batch in the chimney. The best thing is not to loose your coal bed, but if you do, just add some small splits & and some more charcoal. If you completely lost the coal bed you will have to start over, this has happened to me & I had to restart it with a weed burner.
Al

Thanks in advance guys

Reactions: Sandman92
Welcome to the forums, happy to have ya join the fun.

Chris

Thanks guys for the warm welcome did my first red meat smoke today.lemme know how it looks

Here were my infraction. Like said above need to keep a good coal bed. Lost temp after and hour and then I was just chasing the temp post and my wood kept smouldering. Going to try my Frist brisket tomorrow. Hopefully it turns out ok. Will try and use a larger coal bed

Attachments

• IMG_20200912_143446.jpg
    IMG_20200912_143446.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: JLeonard
I think it looks good, serve me up a couple slices! But what's most important is what did you think of it? How did it taste, was there enough smoke flavor or too much? Looks like it stayed moist and you didn't overcook it...two big wins in my book.

Ryan

Totally agree jim some of the Info I have gotten from all the forums here has really helped me in understanding what needs to be done. I am a chef by profession but I don't think I have tackled anything that requires as much patience and understanding of elements as smoking does.and I think it's a life lesson to love by. Patience

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky