First Time Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

navyfe

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Norman, OK
Well, gave it a try...and not to bad. Got a filet from Albertson's (Skin on), rubbed some lemon juice, salt, pepper, a little ginger, paprika, garlic powder and some dill on top.

Smoked at about 210 degrees with a mixture of apple and cherry wood until internal temp was 145 degrees - just a little over 2 hours. Came right off the skin. Had a mustard sauce on the side.

Nice and flakey....
icon_cool.gif

Excellante'! Sounds like a winner! A suggestion for next time (just my 2 cts worth).....try brining it for 2 - 3 or so hrs before you smoke, let it dry to form a pellicle (it will dry and form a thin skin over the fish). Really adds something to it. Always brine and dry my salmon before its' smoke. Turns out moist and flaky.

Again, good job!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

After the brine (BTW what do you use?) When letting it dry - at room temp on the counter or fridge?

With the brine, I dont get too fancy. I usually use 1/2 gallon water, 1/3 cup kosher (that's all I use) salt, and 1/3 cup brown sugar. But you can add darn near anything you might think would be good.

For drying, I pat it down with paper towels, then put it on a cake cooling rack. If I have the time, I keep it in the fridge. If not, I put in on the kitchen counter (with the cat outside) and put a small fan on it to help it form the pellicle faster.

Hope this helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky