First Time Salmon

Discussion in 'Fish' started by navyfe, Jul 8, 2007.

1. navyfe

navyfe Fire Starter

Well, gave it a try...and not to bad. Got a filet from Albertson's (Skin on), rubbed some lemon juice, salt, pepper, a little ginger, paprika, garlic powder and some dill on top.

Smoked at about 210 degrees with a mixture of apple and cherry wood until internal temp was 145 degrees - just a little over 2 hours. Came right off the skin. Had a mustard sauce on the side.

Nice and flakey....[​IMG]

2. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

sounds good [​IMG]

3. crewdawg52

crewdawg52 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Excellante'! Sounds like a winner! A suggestion for next time (just my 2 cts worth).....try brining it for 2 - 3 or so hrs before you smoke, let it dry to form a pellicle (it will dry and form a thin skin over the fish). Really adds something to it. Always brine and dry my salmon before its' smoke. Turns out moist and flaky.

Again, good job! [​IMG]

4. navyfe

navyfe Fire Starter

After the brine (BTW what do you use?) When letting it dry - at room temp on the counter or fridge?

5. crewdawg52

crewdawg52 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

With the brine, I dont get too fancy. I usually use 1/2 gallon water, 1/3 cup kosher (that's all I use) salt, and 1/3 cup brown sugar. But you can add darn near anything you might think would be good.

For drying, I pat it down with paper towels, then put it on a cake cooling rack. If I have the time, I keep it in the fridge. If not, I put in on the kitchen counter (with the cat outside) and put a small fan on it to help it form the pellicle faster.

Hope this helps.

6. navyfe

navyfe Fire Starter

Thanks. Will give it a try next go around.