First time ribs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankswinagain

Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
New Jersey
Needed to do three racks of ribs on Friday, somewhat unplanned (the wife took them out of the freezer - so needed to use them).  

Dry rub (McCormick's Brown Sugar Bourbon Mix) with apple juice. Used apple wood in the smoker and the 3-2-1 method.

Trimming them was more difficult than I thought it would be, but by rack #3 I had the hang of it.  The "skirt" was the hardest part to do.  

I am new to smoking in general, I had some trouble regulating the amount of smoke being generated - I think I would reduce the amount of wood chunks I used initially.

I probably also opened the door too often to check on them (and spray them with the juice), but the temp did end up being fairly well regulated throughout the process.  

The is the best shot I had of them  (taken quickly with my phone) and I lost a half rack to a hungry neighbor.  

They were a bit zippier than I thought they would be.  I probably also would have left them on the smoker for another 30 mins or so.  They were at 170-175 when I took them off.

I served them with Trader Joe's BBQ sauce on the side...  

Do you attribute the "zippiness" to the rub? And I take it you like the TJ bbq sauce? I've seen it at the store many times , but haven't tried it yet. Anyhow , the ribs look good. :grilling_smilie:

Do you attribute the "zippiness" to the rub? And I take it you like the TJ bbq sauce? I've seen it at the store many times , but haven't tried it yet. Anyhow , the ribs look good.
grilling_smilie.gif
Not sure what the cause was for the zip - it wasn't that it was bad, just unexpected - everyone liked them (my neighbor wants me to do them as opposed to my usual grilling at the next neighborhood BBQ - she said some of the best she had ever tried).  I guess it was the rub, but I have used it before (grilling) and it was fine.   

The TJ's sauce was good - not overpowering at all, slightly sweet.  I would buy it again.  Note that I did not put it on the ribs to caramelize, so don't know what that will do to the taste, but I assume it will be good.

I am new to smoking in general, I had some trouble regulating the amount of smoke being generated - I think I would reduce the amount of wood chunks I used initially.

I probably also opened the door too often to check on them (and spray them with the juice), but the temp did end up being fairly well regulated throughout the process.  
IMHO the two most common and easiest to solved mistakes. That and getting carried away with brines, rubs, marinades and sauces. I always suggest a basic smoke first, so you know the meat and the smoker and have a good rib to use to build what you find you'll like in the future.

To do this, I highly recommend taking notes. Logbook, cardex, recipe box, note book, flashdrive, no matter what you use keep notes. the meat the weather, the smoke, IT, brines, rubs, sauces, timing involved, etc.... Make suggestions afterwards as to what you'd change the next time. It really helps when ya have a memory like mine. Matter a fact, use the search engine, there are some printable I believe here on the boards.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with those ribs that 10 mins and a drink wouldn't solve. Nice to meet ya Yanks, you have accidently on purpose feel into a good place. Good luck and enjoy the smoke.

PS You'll have to figure out how to deal with over friendly neighbors........LOL

Last edited:
  Nice to meet ya Yanks, you have accidently on purpose feel into a good place. Good luck and enjoy the smoke.  thanks , brother !

PS You'll have to figure out how to deal with over friendly neighbors........LOL  oh , I hear ya ! neighbors on both sides get real chatty when I get the smoker going !

Looks great!  That rub has some red pepper in it and I think that is what gave you the "zip".  I have some of that rub here at the house and I stuck my finger in it and tasted the red pepper and I would imagine if you used a fair amount of it that it would be "zippier." 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky