First time not wrapping a brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom02

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2015
pa
So i have done a couple of briskets so far in my 3 short years of smoking but i have always wrapped them in foil around 165.. I also have always done them around 275. This time i decided to go low and slow and not wraping it. I started off with a 13# packer brisket and just used salt pepper garlic set my mes for 225 using hickory. Its been 15 hours so far and internal temp is 182. Ill show more pics when i take it off..

Reactions: mr t 59874
I have never wrapped a brisket per say. I wait until 165 or 170 and then pan with a about 6 to 8 ounces of dark beer in the bottom and then loosely foil on the top basically just tent to let the brisket breath. This does two things which are better than wrapping in foil or butcher paper imo. It lets it breathe which is what the butcher papers claim to fame is but you also catch all those fantastic juices that mingle with the dark beer that makes for a fantastic au jus or gravy if you want to add a slurry at the end. You lose all that when wrapping with paper or foil.

Another side benefit is it eliminates the stall pretty much. Do the same thing with my pork butts. Have never really had a stall to speak of since I started using this method.

It was very juicy and flavorful but i was disappointed in the smoke ring. I do think im done wrapping.
GALLERY]

Just did a 13# packer in the Amerique. Thought I would see how simple one could be done. No trimming, injecting or wrapping using a simple rub. The 50/50 rub consisted of Kosher salt and ground black pepper. After rubbing, approx.. ¾ cups, the flat was tucked under for even thickness, the brisket was then placed in a preheated smoker set at 200° along with a 2.5 oz. chunk of oak bourbon barrel. No peeking for 21.5 hours, tested for tenderness and it was falling apart at 176°. Didn’t even look for a smoke ring, as they mean nothing to me. The result was a most tender and juicy brisket with a very nice smoke and beef flavor. Very simple and delicious.

T

I wish i would of took it off a hair sooner but still very good. Im just so used to seeing a smoke ring when i used my reverse flow thats all..I need to get the amazen tube

I wish i would of took it off a hair sooner but still very good. Im just so used to seeing a smoke ring when i used my reverse flow thats all..I need to get the amazen tube
I understand your not seeing the smoke ring. I probably could have taken mine off sooner also. I used a Costco prime brisket, will be doing that again also.

Something to consider is the fact that Cookshacks cook in a very moist environment because of the very small inlets and outlets, 5/8th’s inch. This allows one to use very little wood in order to get smoke flavor on a product. Your results may be different.

T

You no i thought this site was to help young smokers like myself. I never get comments or anybodys wisdom like i thought i should. No big deal but seems like its only some people who get replys

You no i thought this site was to help young smokers like myself. I never get comments or anybodys wisdom like i thought i should. No big deal but seems like its only some people who get replys
Don’t be disappointed, there are times you don’t get many responses when you go against the general grain. It’s how adventurist such as yourself learn.

Learn to deal with the facts, not tradition, or sympathy.

T

Good morning Tom.  First off, your brisket looks great...nice job!  I like seeing a smoke ring too, but as far as flavor goes, a smoke ring doesn't affect it...it just looks good.  But you  just can't get smoke ring in those electric smokers, even with a smoke tube.  That doesn't mean the food you make won't be tasty though.

As to your last comment...this site IS a place for newbs to get help...if you ask for it, you'll get it.  Many of the veterans here (me included) won't presume to offer advice that hasn't been asked for.  Now if you have a specific question, or just want some input on your methods, all you have to do is ask and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice.  Your OP didn't really seem to be asking for any specific input or questions.

Sometimes the amount of traffic your threads get depends on when you post them.  At different times of the day, and on different days of the week, the forum traffic can slow down sometimes.  If your thread works its way down the post count before very many members see it, sometimes it might not get as many replies as you'd hope.  If that happens when you've asked for help, and you're not getting it, just try posting another comment in your thread to bump it back to the top...that way more eyes might see it.  This thread, for example...I was busy most of Saturday, and wasn't online much...so I just saw this thread this morning.  It happens...

Don't let it discourage you...this really is a friendly and helpful place.

Happy smoking!

Red

It's the internet don't put too much emotion into it. Like SeenRed says ask a specific question and you will get a answer. Bear in mind most here have done hundreds of briskets and have seen thousands of pictures of other peoples briskets so another brisket post with pics is nothing new and may not command a lot of attention. That being said there are several members who when they post do get more attention than others just due to their well earned reputation. Bear Carver and Pops comes to mind. I always read their posts for the information I need and always appreciate them but I don't always post a gratuitous response. Just because you don't receive the number of responses you think you deserve does not mean people don't appreciate the post.

Your brisket looks fantastic! It looks as juicy as I've ever seen one. I would not worry about the smoke ring one bit. There's really no merit to having one other than appearance.

.....and don't worry about not getting a bunch of replies. This site is great for information and many folks won't comment unless they have direct experience with the topic......One thing I've found is that if you do things a bit different then the norm (i.e. not foiling during the smoke) the replies don't usually poor in.....I've killed many a thread suggesting that someone skip the foil step. It's way too simple
roflmao.gif
.....people just want to fiddle around with whatever is in the smoker.....it's the nature of the beast I guess.

Don't get discouraged. If you simply search this site 99% of the time you'll find that the specific question that you have has already been asked and answered.

Last edited:
I know you're not happy with the lack of smoke ring, but let me tell you something I noticed right off the bat, You're brisket looks very moist. Most of the pics I see look dried out, I imagine having to wash them down instead of swallow. Yours? perfectly juicy. Great job!

this is from a brisket smoked with an electric smoker. 

But you too can can have a smoke ring from and electric.  I used an aux pellet smoker for the smoke, and the chip tray held a couple of charcoal brickets. Everytime the couple of brickets turns to ash, replace them.

Hey thanks everybody for the kind comments. I didnt mean to piss anybody off just frustrated. I just ordered the amazing 5x8 tray cant wait to try it out

Your brisket look great! I've cured and smoked about everything, yet I have not smoked a brisket.. What am I waiting for??!! Nice work.

I like 3montes dark beer top foil idea. To the store I go!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky