First time jerky making prep

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Are you guys saying you HAVE to use cure if smoking ground beef as jerky?

I have made plenty of jerky with no cure or using an alternative cure (such as soy sauce). If not using a "real" cure or using no cure, the jerky is not safe for consumption (based on my experience) if it isn't consumed in a short time period (up to a week if stored cold has never caused any problems for me).

sent from here using science.

I have made plenty of jerky with no cure or using an alternative cure (such as soy sauce). If not using a "real" cure or using no cure, the jerky is not safe for consumption (based on my experience) if it isn't consumed in a short time period (up to a week if stored cold has never caused any problems for me).

sent from here using science.
That is what i usually do, use soy. I am making another batch this sunday and this caught my eye because I never use cure (besides soy and salt). I was just always under the impression that salt was a good enough cure.

Are you guys saying you HAVE to use cure if smoking ground beef as jerky?
I recommend it for ground meat.....If you read the article it says When raw meat or poultry is dehydrated at home — either in a warm oven or a food dehydrator — to make jerky which will be stored on the shelf, pathogenic bacteria are likely to survive the dry heat of a warm oven and especially the 130 to 140 °F of a food dehydrator. Included here is the scientific background behind drying food to make it safe and the safest procedure to follow when making homemade jerky.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...at-preparation/jerky-and-food-safety/ct_index

I have made lots of jerky with whole meats without cure and never gotten sick (not saying its safe) but I wont chance ground meat without cure cooking at low temp for long periods of time...The SMF will hold to the USDA regulations with no deviation.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/86649/the-final-word-on-food-safety

Reactions: crankybuzzard
Well I just finished my ground turkey jerky that I did use a cure in along with my homemade rub, a bunch of coarse black pepper, ground red pepper flakes and a little Texas Pete mixed in. It came out amazing but I will spice it up a bit more on my next attempt this week!

Glad it came out great...... Any Pics...........
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

That's what I haven't devoured yet

sent from my Galaxy S3

I have some turkey sausage in the fridge now that I will be doing tomorrow

What does freezing the meat do to the pathogen levels?  I have made a lot of deer meat jerky using frozen processed deer "hamburger" (venison mixed with fatty beef) and not had any problems.  It is usually gone in a week and I always keep it refrigerated.  Just wondering if freezing kills the bacteria or if I've just been lucky.

Freezing meat kills Trichinae found in wild game. Pices 6" in diameter and under should be frozen at 5 degrees for 20 days to kill trichinae
Freezing meat will not kill Trichinae larva. Heating the meat to 160 degree internal temperature will kill trichinae and the larva.
Trichinae is not affected by nitrite that is why you should still cook wild game to an internal temperature of 160 degrees
3 % salt when curing will kill Trichinae in products which wont be subjected to 160 degree IT such as cured pork shoulder.

Last edited:

Falco78,

That jerky looks very nice!

Please let us know how the sausage jerky comes out...

Charlie
It is in the dehydrator now, will put some pics up tomorrow and let you know how it turned out. I went with a cajun seasoning and cure for the turkey sausage batch. One thing I have noticed is a bit more oil coming off of the ground turkey sausage over the regular ground turkey. Thanks for all of the adivce guys!

The general amount of curing salt to use is 1gram (appx. 1/4 tsp) to 1 pound of meat. As for that sausage, it contained BHT/BHA and citric acid which all act as preservatives, not cures. These are added in place of cures like sodium nitrate to prevent the spoilage of fat. I have used store bought pork sausage that was preserved in a similar manner to make beef snack stix and cured with a Backwoods Seasoning and Cure packet with no ill effect, just be careful how much cure you are using as too much is toxic. Never exceed a ratio of 1 gram (appx.1/4 tsp) cure to 1 pound of meat.

EDITED FOR PROPER MEASURE OF CURE TO MEAT.

Last edited:

The general amount of curing salt to use is 1 oz to 1 pound of meat. As for that sausage, it contained BHT/BHA and citric acid which all act as preservatives, not cures. These are added in place of cures like sodium nitrate to prevent the spoilage of fat. I have used store bought pork sausage that was preserved in a similar manner to make beef snack stix and cured with a Backwoods Seasoning and Cure packet with no ill effect, just be careful how much cure you are using as too much is toxic. Never exceed a ratio of 1 oz cure to 1 pound of meat.
To get to the recommended 156ppm of cure, that should be 1 gram of cure per pound of meat.  That would be .035 oz of cure.

Now this is if you're using Cure #1 which contains 6.25% of sodium nitrite and 92.75% of salt.  (The pink stuff we get here in the states)

Charlie

Wow I hope that was a type O Mr. Cue

Pink cure - 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs of meat.

Morton Tender Quick - 1 Tablespoon per pound of meat.

Be careful not to get confused between the two. 

Morton Tender Quick contains salt and sugar  and 0.5% nitrite and 0.5% nitrate. ( I don't know what % is salt and what % is sugar)

Pink cure contains  93.75% salt and 6.25% nitrite.

I would pick one and stick to it as to not get confused.  If you inter change the two your  product results will not come out the same using identical recipes. If you find a recipe that calls for cure#1 use cure#1.  If you use Tender quick as a replacement the finished product will be too salty.

Reactions: crankybuzzard
When working with curing salts I prefer to perform the measurements in weight instead of spoons.  The problem I've found in the past is that not all measuring spoons are equal.

I've seen people that use a standard small spoon that is used for eating at the table as a teaspoon for measuring, and also the same for the larger spoons and calling it a tablespoon.  Other times I've seen folks that measure like my grandmother used to; if it calls for a teaspoon, better make it a heaping teaspoon!

For that reason, most ALL of my recipes have now been converted over to weight.  Since we are starting with meat that is measured in weight, and not cups, it all works out well.

When measuring in grams I've also found a better consistency in my end products from batch to batch.

Charlie

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky