• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time Fatties for the tailgate! QView

qdog

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 10, 2010
Well finally got around to making some fatties.  I decided to take the smoker down to the tailgate and treat the gang to some fatties and ABT’s.  No one had heard of either other than my buddies wife who said she had seen the fatties on TV sometime. 
I rolled out all the meat prior and put into the fridge for a few hours.

3 reg Jimmy Dean 1 Sage and 1 Hamburger
First up the Pizza

And the first time rolling it up!  Really pretty easy

Then the Chili Dog

Bacon Cheese Burger…with hamburger

The Ruben

And the Breakfast

I tossed these into the fridge and started on the bacon weave.

And finally all wrapped an ready for the game!

Did up some quick ABT’s

Wrapped in bacon and tossed in the fridge.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Jun 1, 2008
Talking about jumping in feet first. Way to start out. Cant wait to see the results.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 7, 2010
Very nice! Man, you should of saved that for the throwdown! Your weave is perfect too.

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
If you get a chance ( they go fast ) how bout an inside finish shot:)

qdog

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 10, 2010
Talking about jumping in feet first. Way to start out. Cant wait to see the results.
No kidding my bride thought I was crazy when she asked what i needed and told her 5 lbs of bacon!

Very nice! Man, you should of saved that for the throwdown! Your weave is perfect too.
Thanks Squirrel!  I have another one in the works for that!  The weave is pretty easy to pull off once you actually try it :)

If you get a chance ( they go fast ) how bout an inside finish shot:)
Man I got caught up in the momoment and never took a "gut" shot....pretty disappointed in myself for forgetting the money shot :(

I like everything but the sweatshirt!!! 
Good WIN for ISU man didn't see that coming!

Ok so to finish up what I started.....

Off to the tailgate!  Had the WSM set up and ready to go in about 40 minutes

Tossed the goodies on!

The fellas getting the tailgate set up...

And let her go for about 3 hours

Here are couple done ones and unfortunately I didn’t get around to taking any more pics as we started to devour!  But the crowd loved them all.  The Pizza was the slight favorite with the Rueben up there as well.

I did the breakfast one on the Weber Performer this morning and man it was tasty on a Croissant.    Cooked much faster as the temp was around 400!

Thanks for looking will be doing my throw down one this week at some point!
Cheers Jeff

Last edited:

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Man those are some good looking FATTIES. Now doesn't anyone remember about the throwdown this month is the fattie. It's like everyone is making some fatties and maybe there's alot of entries this month too.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007
Quite impressive and you make it look so easy.

shooter1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 30, 2009
Yo QDOG you sure that is your first time making fatties? They look like they came out great and nice assortment of fillings. Would've liked to see some sliced pics but i know how that goes. Hard to be the cook and document the process at the same time and once you put the food out the wolves attack. Of course thats the best compliment you could get when all the food dissapears. I hope you were able to grab a bite or two.

distre

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 9, 2010
Talking about jumping in feet first, I was thinking more like cannonball, all in at once. Man those are some good looking fatties, with a variety at that. All I can say is

Good job.

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
they look good. I am doing a fattie for the throwdown tomorrow

wntrlnd

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 18, 2009
now those fatties are flat out rockin'!

and those ABTs are lookin' fine too!

very nicely done!

qdog

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 10, 2010
Thanks!

Can't wait for the weekend, doing a couple Boston Butt's overnight,  Trying two new rubs and some finishing sauces.    Plus I get to seal up the left overs with the new FoodSaver :)  Its the little things you know 

smokinstevo27

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 17, 2010
Hope you give mine a try. Can't wait to see more pics, you do good work my friend!

Thanks!

Can't wait for the weekend, doing a couple Boston Butt's overnight,  Trying two new rubs and some finishing sauces.    Plus I get to seal up the left overs with the new FoodSaver :)  Its the little things you know 

qdog

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 10, 2010
Hope you give mine a try. Can't wait to see more pics, you do good work my friend!

Yep I have yours on the short list but I am in Tampa on biz right now and really won't have any time to get it made so it can rest for any length of time, overnight at best   thoughts?

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
What a great smoke you had. The food looks off the hook - congrats man

smokinstevo27

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 17, 2010
It doesn't absolutely have to rest, I just prefer it that way. If you make a big batch you can use some and then try it again later. Since its mostly vinegar its safe in the fridge for a good while.

Yep I have yours on the short list but I am in Tampa on biz right now and really won't have any time to get it made so it can rest for any length of time, overnight at best   thoughts?

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Wow QDog!!

Awesome looking stuff there!! 

I thought you were a Rookie---Boy was I wrong

Thanks,

Bear

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.