First time electric smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lenm

Original poster
May 8, 2015
My first time smoking with Masterbuilt electric smoker. I've read quite a few posts but couldn't find clear answers to my questions:
1. Do you have to soak the wood chips first? If so, how long.
2. Can I put in three slabs of brisket at the same time- one in each rack?
3. Do I multiply by the number of slabs the cooking time or is it the same for when you're doing only one?
4. Do I check the IT for each slab since they are in different layers of the smoker?

Thanks. I appreciate any responses.

1. Do you have to soak the wood chips first? If so, how long. **Never soak chips***
2. Can I put in three slabs of brisket at the same time- one in each rack? ***Fit whatever you can fit. But depending on which MES you've got you may need not be able to fit a whole packer. In a 40 you would***
3. Do I multiply by the number of slabs the cooking time or is it the same for when you're doing only one? ***Cook by IT and not time but no you don't multiply***
4. Do I check the IT for each slab since they are in different layers of the smoker? ***Yes be sure to begin the toothpick test for doneness once each one hits 190 or so***

Hope this helps.

Wow! That was a quick response. Thank you so much!! Now, I'm ready to rumble!!!!

Hello,
I forgot to ask how often should I change the wood chips? Thanks

Thank you, but is that every 45 minutes?

1. Do you have to soak the wood chips first? If so, how long. **Never soak chips***
2. Can I put in three slabs of brisket at the same time- one in each rack? ***Fit whatever you can fit. But depending on which MES you've got you may need not be able to fit a whole packer. In a 40 you would***
3. Do I multiply by the number of slabs the cooking time or is it the same for when you're doing only one? ***Cook by IT and not time but no you don't multiply***
4. Do I check the IT for each slab since they are in different layers of the smoker? ***Yes be sure to begin the toothpick test for doneness once each one hits 190 or so***

Hope this helps.
Add more chips when you see little or no smoke coming out the exhaust vents. Usually about 40-45 minutes on mine.
These are spot on answers.

Thank you, but is that every 45 minutes?
You will have to monitor it to see how it is going. You can pull out the loader at the 45 minute mark and use a flashlight to look down the tube. If there are still some chips smoldering you need to wait to reload it. Overloading the chip tray will cause them to not burn correctly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky