First time doing Woodchucks w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oneshot

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 30, 2009
West of Chicago
Well here I go, my first time at doin a couple of chucks and using the kiss method.

Ingrediants:
2 Chucks
EVOO
Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning

Wood:
Onion

Temp.
225 degrees

Here they are all skinned, seasoned and ready to go into the Traeger smoker.

Here they are after 3 1/2 hours and I have inserted the probes. The big one is at 148 and the small one is at 151 internal temp.

I'll be taken these to approx. 165 internal and then wrap them in foil to about 200/205.

And as luck would have it, it's raining now.....
More pics. later...

Damn you guys with all this q-view never did a chuck but guess what im picking up for the weekend

points.gif
looks good

Looking good oneshot. I just did mine this weekend the same way. Hope they turn out great for ya.

From the title of your post, and knowing you, I thought were actually doing Woodchucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides

From the title of your post, and knowing you, I thought were actually doing Woodchucks.

I just new that would get yer guys attention!!!!!
biggrin.gif
LMAO

After a 3 hour stall I just wrapped them in foil at 164 and 163 degrees. Back in til they hit 205. But they looked and smelled terriffical!!!!!
tongue.gif

Gotta add me to the group, I wasn't sure till I say the pieces of meat...
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif

They do look good though...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Gotta keep y'all on yer toes, adds to the suspense cause y'all just never know what I might come up with next. LMAO
biggrin.gif

On the other hand, I just pulled the 2 woodchucks off the smoker at 206 and 202 degrees. It took approx. 8 hours to do these. That might be some kind of a record stall and smoke time for the chucksters. They are all wrapped up in towels and in the cooler to rest. I need some rest too.
I think they'll be ok for the night in the cooler and I'll pull them in the morning. I'll post finished pics when I pull them.
tongue.gif

Well, after being wrapped in towels and in the cooler for 8 hours I hoped the chucks would still be hot but they were only warm at best. I figured I'd try to pull them anyway hoping they wouldn't be to hard to pull. Surprisingly they were very easy to pull which told me they came out very tender. Boy, was I right. The chucks were very tender and even though the were cooled down they still pulled easily. As for the taste, even cold the taste was great. Now I gotta warm some up and make me a sammich.

Here's a couple of finished pics.

Thanks for looking......
tongue.gif

Thanks Dude. Oh, and that "Onion wood" smoke gave them a nice flavor. I gotta find out were they grow "Onion Trees"......
icon_question.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
biggrin.gif

Looks Great Oneshot, my wife loves when I smoke up some chuckies. Alot of times we will crosscut them and serve them on a plate. A little fat to work around but great flavor.

What wood did you use? I haven't seen onion pellets for our Traeger.

I used "Onion", yep, you read it right....from the ever famous onion tree....lol
Oh yeah, Traeger has a bunch of flavors and a new one called "grape vine". Check out this link for the different pellets.

http://www.traegergrills.com/share/pellets.cfm

Ask your dealer if they will order them for you. I've tried almost all of them and it's a great switch of flavors.
tongue.gif

We like smoked chuckies at my house. Try to keep a couple on hand to make my Shredded Beef Enchaladas.

When I saw that you had onion listed as your wood I thought "What the heck??" But then I saw the Treager in your sig line and it clicked-Ol' oneshot runs a pellet pooper. Heard that they were making pellets in different flavors-didn't realize that "onion" was one of them.

Nice looking pulled beef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky