First tenderloin/jerky smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vi_xon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Oregon Coast
Just smoked my first tenderloin, and made my first batch of jerky. Everything turned out! Mouthwatering and so good to taste that it was hard to stop. I couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have done it without all your help!

For the tenderloin – I brined overnight, using a mixture of molasses, water, apple juice and rock salt. (I know most recipes call for kosher salt, but I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have any so I made due with what was in the kitchen.) I used Jeffâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s rub recipe with a couple of modifications. I had no garlic powder, so I used minced garlic instead, and I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t add any salt. I rubbed the loin, wrapped everything with the cheapest, fattiest bacon I could find, and stuck it on the smoker. For my mop I used 3 parts apple juice and 1 part black velvet.

Since I was doing jerky at the same time, I kept the temp quite low. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s hard to tell an exact temp with my ECB because it doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have a proper temp gauge, but I kept it at the high end of warm on the gauge. (Can I purchase a gauge that will tell me the smoker temp?) I figure it was about 130 – 150. Anyway, I cured the jerky overnight, then marinated for about 4 hours.

The jerky was done in about 4 hrs. It was so good; I couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t keep Honey out of it. I barely got the picture before he had it all ate up. The loin---I used the 3-2-1 method. It turned out tender and juicy and full of flavor. It took about 6 hours because of the low temp, but was well worth the effort.

I was going to use the mahogany sauce recipe that Dutch provided, but when I went into the kitchen to make it, it was about 100 degrees in there. (95 outside). I wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t about to cook myself in that kitchen so I served with no sauce. Still a big hit! (I'm thinking I'll make the sauce later today and serve it with the leftover loin)

I just might be getting the hang of this. Canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t wait ‘til next weekend so I can smoke again! Thanks everyone for all the great tips!!!!
3994601c_vbattach10709.jpg

0d3a4245_vbattach10710.jpg

82a66b56_vbattach10708.jpg

I can smell it already ... You can send the leftovers to me if you have any left.. Nice Job Vix, thanks for the Pics.. I think I shorted out my keyboard from drooling..

Joe

Nice report, good details. I have yet to try a loin, even though I have one in the freezer, I just can not seem to work out the time needed for the cook. Will have to look over the threads and recipes you mentioned, and see about adding or morphing into the ideas I have.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky