First Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

That looks fantastic, sausages are on my game plan your recipe and quick technique just moved it high up the list. I don't mind a little spice but many recipes I've seen usually sound like a bit much for our taste.
Thanks ameskimo. I chose to make this summer sausage because the missus doesn't care for spicy food. It has lot so seasoning and is flavourful but is not a hot sausage. I can recommend home sausage making. It is fun. Also, it lets you adjust recipes to make the sausage just the way you like.

Disco

The part where you said I gave it 2 hours no heat, can you explain that to me a little, Im greener than green at this, but man did you do a great job of showing the complete process. This will go into my to do list as soon as we get some green grass. I'm northwest Wisconsin and we got almost 12 inch's again and we have over 30 on ground already.

The part where you said I gave it 2 hours no heat, can you explain that to me a little, Im greener than green at this, but man did you do a great job of showing the complete process. This will go into my to do list as soon as we get some green grass. I'm northwest Wisconsin and we got almost 12 inch's again and we have over 30 on ground already.
I have an electric smoker (a Bradley). It has two heat elements. One is for heating the chamber to the set temperature. The other is much smaller and makes wood chip pucks smoke to generate the smoke. The first two hours I just generated smoke and did not turn on the main heat element.

All I was trying to do was to smoke it for two hours with as little heat as possible for the first two hours to get more smoke on the meat before it was cooked.

Disco

Sorry about my short response in the prior post. I was away from my computer and trying to answer on a tablet. I can barely deal with a real keyboard. Anyway, like I said, I tried to give it 2 hours without heat and just smoke. If you are using an A-MAZEN-PELLET smoker or the like that is easy. Otherwise, just start off with your smoker as cold as possible.

The winter weather you are describing should make that easy although, I suspect you have had enough of winter by now. We sure have here in the mountains.

Disco

Don't ya'll get dual citizenships up there, anywhere north of Kenosha?
I always hear it was people from the south who had dual citizen ship, American and Relaxed.

Disco

Relaxed.

Disco
So is that a tactful way to say I'm lazy?

107.gif

"Relaxed".... "Laid back" folks makes some of the best sausage.... Boudin, Andouille..... AND they have great music...... and GREAT "home made stuff" in Mason Jars.... and.......... Very good Canadian friends.... they was from Canada eh !!!

"Relaxed".... "Laid back" folks makes some of the best sausage.... Boudin, Andouille..... AND they have great music...... and GREAT "home made stuff" in Mason Jars.... and.......... Very good Canadian friends.... they was from Canada eh !!!
Actually, they aren't so much from Canada. They were fun, lively, liked good food  and made great music. All very unCanadian. We sent them away.

Disco

The Acadians (French: Acadiens, IPA: [akadjɛ̃]) are the descendants of the 17th-century French colonists who settled in Acadia, many of whom are metis.[4][5][6] The colony was located in what is now Eastern Canada's Maritime provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island), as well as part of Quebec, and present-day Maine to the Kennebec River.

Actually, they aren't so much from Canada. They were fun, lively, liked good food  and made great music. All very unCanadian. We sent them away.

Disco
[/quote]

Now.... I have travelled the West Coast of Canada. B.C. province... Inland coastal waterway and partied in every port over a 25 year stretch... If I use your thinking..... every port was filled with Acadians...... Partying, fun loving, food loving and thirstiest lot of folks I have ever met...

The Acadians (French: Acadiens, IPA: [akadjɛ̃]) are the descendants of the 17th-century French colonists who settled in Acadia, many of whom are metis.[4][5][6] The colony was located in what is now Eastern Canada's Maritime provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island), as well as part of Quebec, and present-day Maine to the Kennebec River.

Disco

Now.... I have travelled the West Coast of Canada. B.C. province... Inland coastal waterway and partied in every port over a 25 year stretch... If I use your thinking..... every port was filled with Acadians...... Partying, fun loving, food loving and thirstiest lot of folks I have ever met...[/quote]
Har. Ok. I have had one or two beers and may have attended a party.

Wow!! That must be some good sausage because everytime I click on this link, I can smell it..

It's been a long and nasty winter but it's almost over, time to get smoking again. Went to Sam's to pick up a few pork butts and the price is up there next to the chicken wings. Won't be making any sausage for a few weeks so for now, I just keep looking at your "Q"

Looks good Disco, I'll have to say this one for later... Thumbs Up

Wow!! That must be some good sausage because everytime I click on this link, I can smell it..

It's been a long and nasty winter but it's almost over, time to get smoking again. Went to Sam's to pick up a few pork butts and the price is up there next to the chicken wings. Won't be making any sausage for a few weeks so for now, I just keep looking at your "Q"

Looks good Disco, I'll have to say this one for later...
icon14.gif
Well, the pork prices are a little higher than platinum here in the mountains. I assuage my conscience by noting how expensive summer sausage is at the deli counter and how much better this is.

I know what you mean about the winter being almost over. I just had a couple of hours of sunshine and gave the old Bradley a thorough cleaning. I am sitting here with a slight odour of Eau de Smoke.

Disco

"I know what you mean about the winter being almost over. I just had a couple of hours of sunshine and gave the old Bradley a thorough cleaning. I am sitting here with a slight odour of Eau de Smoke."

Disco, you should patent that and put it up for sale.... There's your million $$$ !! :dunno :biggrin: Just a thought ! LOL

Justin

Last edited:
"I know what you mean about the winter being almost over. I just had a couple of hours of sunshine and gave the old Bradley a thorough cleaning. I am sitting here with a slight odour of Eau de Smoke."

Disco, you should patent that and put it up for sale.... There's your million $$$ !! :dunno :biggrin: Just a thought ! LOL

Justin
Yes, but those would Canadian dollars. It would be barely worth the trouble.

Justin
Yes, but those would Canadian dollars. It would be barely worth the trouble.

But the market is prime for a new scent !! Haha, have a good one !

Justin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky