First Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

great job, Disco !!   Summer sausage is one of my favorites to make ! What dis each of the chubs weigh? about 3 lbs ??
Thanks! It will be one of my favourites from now on. 

Each chub weighed about 2 1/2 pounds.

Disco

Very, very nice looking sausage.... Wish we could figure out a way to do samples thru this forum as that looks great & I'll bet real tasty... Gonna get into the game of the sausage making here shortly, just hope I can someday hold a candle to y'all on here... Again nicely done Sir... :sausage: :biggrin:

Justin

Hey Disco,

Gosh, I'm sorry I missed this thread when it first appeared!  I love summer sausage, but like you haven't had the desire to try an actual shelf-stable fermented version.  But I like the idea of using Fermento for the tangy flavor.  I'll give that a try next time.  

Your cross-sectional pictures look fantastic.  And who is that handsome devil in the picture with the LEM vertical stuffer?

Looks-Great.gif

Thanks for posting, and have a great night!

Clarissa

Very, very nice looking sausage.... Wish we could figure out a way to do samples thru this forum as that looks great & I'll bet real tasty... Gonna get into the game of the sausage making here shortly, just hope I can someday hold a candle to y'all on here... Again nicely done Sir...
sausage.gif
biggrin.gif

Justin
Thanks. If they come up with a tasting version of this forum, my wife will leave me because I'd be spending all my time on this forum! 

Give sausage making a try. It is easy and allows for a lot of creativity in the ingredients you can choose.

Hey Disco,

Gosh, I'm sorry I missed this thread when it first appeared!  I love summer sausage, but like you haven't had the desire to try an actual shelf-stable fermented version.  But I like the idea of using Fermento for the tangy flavor.  I'll give that a try next time.  

Your cross-sectional pictures look fantastic.  And who is that handsome devil in the picture with the LEM vertical stuffer?

Looks-Great.gif

Thanks for posting, and have a great night!

Clarissa
Thanks, Clarissa.

I wouldn't want you to think that this is as good as a fermented summer sausage. However, it is way better than anything I have bought in my local supermarket.

As for the fellow in the picture with the LEM, I decided to use a male model this time. I went to the local Legion and closing time and found one that would work for free. I guess it just shows you get what you pay for.

Disco

Disco, That looks great, I just seen this post been off for awhile. I had 5lbs of beef and pork (10lbs) out this weekend I was going to do Japalpeno s/s with and got so busy could not do it so I had to fry it up and use it for meals during the week. 
th_crybaby2.gif

Maybe in a couple of weeks I will try agian. But again yours looks great and texture look like what I have been wanting also. 
icon14.gif

beercheer.gif
 Job well done 

DS 

Disco, That looks great, I just seen this post been off for awhile. I had 5lbs of beef and pork (10lbs) out this weekend I was going to do Japalpeno s/s with and got so busy could not do it so I had to fry it up and use it for meals during the week. 
th_crybaby2.gif

Maybe in a couple of weeks I will try agian. But again yours looks great and texture look like what I have been wanting also. 
icon14.gif

beercheer.gif
 Job well done 

DS 
Thanks. I would like to put some jalapeno in but the missus would balk and I'm not that brave.

Disco--

You have inspired me!! Now I must make SS for my family. Where did you buy your fermento and casings? I cant wait to try this. Thanks!!

Disco--

You have inspired me!! Now I must make SS for my family. Where did you buy your fermento and casings? I cant wait to try this. Thanks!!
Thanks, Samuel.

I got my Fermento from a sausage supply company, Stuffers. The casings I got from Canadian Tire. If you are in the US, one of the site sponsors carry these, http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/.

I really recommend giving it a try. I had a sandwich today that was terrific.

Disco

That looks fantastic, sausages are on my game plan your recipe and quick technique just moved it high up the list. I don't mind a little spice but many recipes I've seen usually sound like a bit much for our taste.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky