First Successful Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

labs17

Original poster
Jan 16, 2021
I have made a number of batches of summer sausage over the years, but always seem to have issues with the final product. I always make it with wild game. After lurking here for some time I felt like I had gained enough information to figure out the issues I was having so I cobbled together a recipe and tried again. Thanks to all of you that post suggestions and help diagnose problems. I think I was making most of the mistakes, sometimes more than one per batch. For example, not grinding cold enough meat, having the wrong fat content, not mixing thoroughly enough and rushing the cook. I also had some equipment limitations, but that's no longer an issue. Here's the result. Couldn't be happier.
I started it in a dehydrator to dry at 140(I don't have the type of smoker that allows me to control humidity well), smoked at 140, then finished sous vide to 152.
IMG_2062.jpg
IMG_2063.jpg

No fermentation. I will have to give that a try. I did use ECA.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky