First Success (?) Story

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tim8557

Original poster
Well, I tried out my new gizmo (see yesterday's post as New Guy from Ohio) and did a chicken.

I kind of "winged" this one trying to figure out what I was doing. Soaked the Hickory chunks for an hour which I read somewhere in this forum. Took a fresh Amish fryer and put it in a plastic bag and let it swim in Zesty Italian Dressing for an hour. Salt and peppered it and then dusted it with Kroger's Chicken Seasoning.

As it was a nice day today, I sat outside with a cigar (in case the smoker needed help making smoke) and pondered what was going on. Smoke slowly started coming out and the thermometer got around 225 degrees (I think that I read that somewhere as well) In the water pan below, I had thrown in a cut up Ruby Red Grapefruit. I let it go about 3 hours or so and a digital thermometer read 178 degrees in the thigh.

The chicken was tender, juicy and very surprsingly good. I need to work on the recipe a bit but the wife (the critical eye) was happy. Of course the fact that she came home to a regal dinner may have overweighed the results.

On to bigger and better things. Maybe a pork shoulder next.

Cheers.

Tim8557,
Sounds like you're off to a great start! I'd like to suggest now that you give a pork butt a try. There are some great threads under "Pork" that will take you from A to Z. So read/smoke it over, grab yourself a butt and have at it. If you have any questions, bring them here. Just remember that when it's done and your are being celebrated as the "Smoke King of All Time," to use just a little humility .... perhaps after dinner and a good cigar ..... and who knows mabey even a little scotch or a nice burbon. That's also a good time to plan your next extravaganza.

Well done. I am also a new member and have found lots of good information as well as helpful and friendly people on this site.

Tim, one of the best things to have as you smoke foods is a log book. Keep track of what you did, what you used, the temps. and any remarks you received. Write down some ideas of what you might or want to do differently next time-this is great especially if you're developing a recipe.
My "Smoked Pork Loin with Mahogany Sauce" and my "Wicked Baked Bean" recipes where developed by keeping a log book.

Glad that you had a successful first smoke-keep up the good work, you could be destined for membership in the Order of the Thin Blue Smoke (OTBS) :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky