First Spareribs smoking....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woody

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Got my first spareribs on right now. (I'm a teacher, so I have a few weeks left of smoky freedom heh!) I've proved my ability with BC chicken, figured I would move on. I will post pics and updates as things progress, going to use the 3 2 1 method. Already I've had a fiasco...more later.

Good luck with the smoke. I'll be checking in for the pictures. Tell us how you preped the ribs, and what your smoking with...

Go Woody, Go!

Feel free to regale us with the story of you fiasco. Good luck on them ribs, enjoy the day, relax have fun, drink a cold one in my name. If I can find some ribs that won't cost too much, I may smoke some ribs on Thursday. Otherwise I may just do a meatloaf.

Woody, Low and Slow, let them bones get happy, happy, happy. Let us know if you are in need of information, or just some company while they are cooking.

Just pulled 'em out of the foil, they're in the 1 of the 321 stage.

Lookin' good.

I've done pictures at every step of the way, but I will probably put 'em all together, write my story and throw everything up there at the same time.

Yes, I ahve a day job, but the company I work for does not mind me having the ability to research. After all I am using the greatest information tool known to man. That you Al Gore for inventing the internet....

During the last stage of 3-2-1, I usually go for a much lower heat temp...{I leave the lid off, while getting the ribs out of the foil} I am just trying to get the meat to firm up, and I want the sauce to become "gooey" It is hard to describe, there is a look I shoot for, the sauce is not runney, does not appear to be wet, it is "in the zone."

The meat.

Bought some spareribs, about 3# from Meijer this AM, they were selling them for about $1.50/ LB or so, it was a $5 rib.

My rub was just an off-the shelf McCormick Pork Rub, not bad. Really didn't let it sit on there for very long (remember, I had just bought the SR this AM) and threw it into the smoker.
b64ce90c_vbattach10874.jpg

I bought 2 bags of Blackwood Canyon Lump Charcoal at the Meijer as well. (I generally do not shop at Wallyworld if I can avoid it because of their anti-union stance. That, however, is another story.) The link for the review of the charcoal is as follows: [web:cbc6d762ea]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag36.htm[/web:cbc6d762ea].

So, I got a chimney full of the stuff going 'an I figured the ol' silver smoker needed to get broken in for the minion method. So, I used the skills I had learned by reading around the 'net to get it ready. Then, I dumped in the chimney full of hot coals.
3f944ac5_vbattach10875.jpg

Then my smoker started smoking in a way I'd never seen. I didn't throttle back early enough on the firebox and the sucker got so hot that the paint on the outside seriously blistered, burned and flaked off. So a question here, what kind of paint should I paint over with? (This, true believers, is my fiasco that I mentioned earlier).

I throttled back and got the coals back from the walls of the firebox, but the damage was done. Ugh.
5e9b6bb1_vbattach10876.jpg

And these are they at the end, and on the plate. Yes, those are my famous homemade fries on the plate.
4995a81d_vbattach10880.jpg

69b3ccc7_vbattach10878.jpg

06c47f92_vbattach10879.jpg

Hey Woody,

Those look like my "world famous home made french fries" 8) They absolutly can't be beat can they?

Ribs look awesome.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some BBQ Black high temp paint and you can fix the old silver smoker right up. I keep a can around to fight the rust monster on my smoker.

I finally figured out the picture you posted of your minion technique. As I said before, I too have a Silver Smoker. I think the paint blistered because you had the fire built right on the bottom of the fire box itself, using the fire grate to keep the coals uniformly to the side. The Silver came with 3 fire grates and 3 cooking grates. After my first smoke and a lot of research, I made some modifications that GREATLY improved my smokes afterwards. One of the things I did was to take 2 fire grates and turned them long ways in the fire box. It gave a lot more clearance off the bottom of the fire box for air to circulate, and keep a nice even, hotter burn. I wouldn't recommend burning directly on the bottom of the fire box, just a thought. Check out my Silver Smoker Modifications post in the Charcoal Smokers forum under the Smoking Supplies and Equipment category to see all of what I did to my SS. Your ribs look like they turned out mighty fine, what's next..?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky